Cathedral Gap in December?

Austin

Hey everyone, I have a few questions about what Cathedral Gap is like in the winter.

I'm looking to do a skinning trip with some buddies to the Flats around December 20th, but I'm unsure as to whether or not the gap will be safely passable if heavy snows hit the hill.

I've been on Rainier in the winter before, but not through the gap. Any and all input is appreciated!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure that Cathedral Gap is any more or less of a problem than the any of the other potential avy hazards on the way up to Ingraham Flats. If avy conditions in general are moderate or high on that aspect of Rainier then just getting to Cathedral Gap could be dangerous. Folks have died in avalanches at Panorama Point.

That's about what I was thinking, DPS. This trip won't be happening if conditions are too sketchy. The reason I wanted to check here is because I haven't been able to find any reports/write-ups by people that have gone to the flats in the winter.