New Ski Mountaineering Crampon

Bronco

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

took me a second..when I saw tech and ski I was thinking ski crampon and at first was trying to figure how this 'screwed' or clipped into the ski.

Novel idea..thanks for sharing. I like the idea behind it.. do wonder about torquing forces--if you would get any unusual slot-wear where the pins go in---probably not tho

I might pick up a pair to try out. It's an ingenious idea but maybe not particularly useful. I nerd out on new gear though.

They seem to be very specific in their application, not sure when I'd need them that I wouldn't be happy with a full aluminum crampon with a minor weight penalty and more secure plunge stepping. Yes, sometimes I walk downhill when I'm carrying my split.

I'm in agreement that these are a niche item and not replace your full crampon. There have certainly been some times where I cramponed down through dicey spots where I might ski if the snow were better. I guess you'd just be committed to face in, front pointing down if that were the case. That being said, most of the routes I've skied down 95% of the cramponing on the ascent was French, (flat footed), and not on my front points.

They might be nice for Volcano routes where you're not sure if you'll need crampons and these could hang on the harness pretty efficiently for quick deployment. It'll be interesting to see if they catch on or more refined versions become available.