[TR] Clark Mountain - Walrus Glacier 6/21/2014

KaskadskyjKozak

Trip: Clark Mountain - Walrus Glacier

Date: 6/21/2014

Trip Report:

I've never attempted Clark. I've had it on the calendar and bailed from the couch a couple times due to weather forecast. Finally, it happened.

The plan was to hit Clark and Luahna in a 3 day trip. The approach went fine...the 10 miles and 4000 foot gain was not bad. Even the infamous Clark skeeters seemed overstated (bad in first 4 or 5 miles only). However 15 min out of camp at Boulder Pass we encountered unexpected shenanigans with steep downcliiming on bullet proof snow down from cornice remnants. Other salad-tossing shenanigans were encountered near the not-guite-melted-out summit block. Once we summitted and obtained an adequate vantage of the Richardson glacier and Luahna approach, we opted to bask in the sun for an extended break and return to camp early to relax and crash.

A few pics from the climb.

Usually I have to wait for a summit pic for summit p0rn:

P10209381.JPG

Walrus money shot. Coo-coo-ca-choo:

P10209411.JPG

Summit ridge:

P10209503.JPG

Team "ST" on the summit:

P1020954.JPG

Shot back up ridge on descent:

P1020962.JPG

Gear Notes:

Standard.

Approach Notes:

No snow until around the creek crossing.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The traverse over to Luahna isn't bad from Clark. I've gone both ways (glacier and south side of ridge) on two separate trips, and the south side route is faster if you are tagging both peaks. You descend a gulley that faces Luahna, a bit south of Clark's summit . I think it is only an hour or two between the peaks. You do need to be careful on the final scramble bit of Luahna- it killed a good friend of mine a few years back.

That area is really cool, glad you had a fun trip!

Edited by JasonG