• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
nzBound

Royal Columns Injury

Does anyone have any information on this recent accident? News Link

Is everyone okay? What was the cause? Were they at the base or on the rock when the accident happend? Which route?

Be safe out there everyone.

My guess would be this route with a huge, nearly detached chockstone 3/4 of the way up the crack, being held up by a wafer thin sliver of basalt. It's jut plain scary...

Edited by telemarker

I missed seeing in by about 10 minutes and have heard second hand that both members in the party were struck by a 4x2 chunk of stone and both broke a femur and one had some head injuries. I had a buddy onsite that didn't know what climb it was on, but said that the rock was covered in chalk. I would be curious if someone knows the actual route they were on as there is not too much loose stone on the climbs.

I took a trip there today after work. Obviously I was not there so this is only speculation, but it looks like it came off of "stress management" on the left side of the overhang.

Photo from mountain project:

105922238_large_21a9b1.jpg

Taken today:

IMG_20140513_192939_394.jpg

IMG_20140513_192611_056.jpg

Well that certainly fits the description. Some of the stuff under the roofs there should see a bit more respect now. I wonder if the crack underneath and behind the block was visible, its been awhile since I was on that.

Portland climber... He pulled the flake off, flake cut the rope and dropped him 20 feet to the ground. Climber broke a leg as did the belayer.

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear that they only had a broken leg. Could have been much worse. Stay safe everyone.