Jacket that matches Pata-gucci Ascensionist

lazzara

Mine is dying after years of use. Best layer I've owned yet with hundreds of days in field skiing, ice/mixed, walking very slowly uphill in the dark . . .

Is there a legit soft-shell out there in the same style of the Ascensionist?

- Very light and packable, not a bulky, too-warm soft shell that's more like an insulating layer

- Fits like a hardshell without being one

- Actually weather-resistant to some degree

Most of the softshells that seems to come close the Ascensionist are a bit lightweight in comparison (i.e. OR Ferrosi).

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

For my body the ascensionist was the best softshell out there. They pop up on ebay now and then but pretty sparse.

The closest thing I've found material-wise is Powershield Pro, a la Patagonia Knifeblade. I'd say it's not quite as breathable (but darn close) and slightly better in terms of weather protection. The face fabric is right on in weight and toughness and the arms are cut long. The jacket and pullover seem to be cut a bit different depending on the year.

Pata Web Specials has last years for $265, not cheap but man I love mine.

Edited by BigSky

I recently picked up a replacement for mine and went with the Black Diamond Dawn Patrol LT. I had another older soft shell that had a thin insulation layer - I run hot so was looking for a minimal shell. I recently used the BD jacket on a week long yurt ski in the Wallowas. With a thin layer underneath I was able to regulate pretty well and keep the jacket on for climbs up and just threw on the puffy when we got to the top and was time to strip the skins.

Seems pretty wind resistant and water resistant as the ski back down at the end of the week went through wetter snow.

Dawn Patrol LT