Used Ice tools?

grandpa

I *think* I'm wanting to buy a used ice tool for some scrambling on glaciers this summer (and beyond). Not intending to do any serious ice climbing, but just crossing various late summer cracks and so on..(no, not going by myself yet, still enough a novice to pay the guides).

So my question is, what should I watch for? Good thinks to consider, bad things to avoid (like is there any hazard to buying used ice tools like buying used soft gear)?

I *love* gadgets, and climbing/hiking is a new experience for me, so for occasional (if ever), use, what would be a suitable tool, and what's a reasonable price, in good or better condition?

Ideas?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you already have an axe and are looking for a second tool for steeper climbs?

Ice tools are pretty tough so I wouldn't worry about buying one used. For what you are talking about any number of used tools will work. I have some old BD shrikes (X-15's, Axars, or a number of other tools from the 90's) that work just fine for steeper summer alpine routes. You could probably find someone practically giving them away for no more than $50 each. That said the modern tools certainly are better, if you are looking at steeper routes. But if you aren't, the straight tools from yesterday are still just fine and almost free.

So you already have an axe and are looking for a second tool for steeper climbs?

Yes, that's the situation... *occasional* steeper climbs.

Ice tools are pretty tough so I wouldn't worry about buying one used.

That's the way I figured it, but with no firsthand prior experience, I ask. Thank you.

If you already have an ice axe with an adze, then I would suggest buying a used hammer for a second tool. That way you have something to pound in pickets or even the occasional piton. The Petzl Aztarex is worth a look. Later on you can add the Aztarex adze if the standard ice axe isn't cutting it for you. These aren't extreme ice tools, but if you are just climbing moderate stuff, like me, they are lightweight and work well.