daddy snowboarder thoughts on choosing lines.

genepires

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good article. Thanks for posting.

interesting thoughts...very conservative
I guess that depends on your point of view and how much risk you choose to take on. Some of his lines are still in no-fall zones. Too ballsy for me, and my kids are grown.

Best piece of information in the whole article...

"Saying NO is the most important tool in your avy kit."

I thought it was conservative in that he spends a lot of time (weeks) on safer lines before feeling confident enough to go on a slope that has any sort of feature that adds to the hazard. (like cliffs, terrain traps, big open bowls, ect)

The usual thing is to see and shred whatever is untouched as soon as the snow stops.

Edited by genepires

The usual thing is to see and shred whatever is untouched as soon as the snow stops.
Yes, that certainly is the prevalent attitude among amateurs, and from that perspective Jeremy Jones is conservative.

I think all the pros, both skiers and shredder dudes, are far more conservative than their videos portray or that their viewers imagine. The Recco video “Whitebook” is a good one to show kids that think they are immortal, as is the sobering “A Dozen More Turns”.

As for me, I’m happy to stay off the snow when it’s not stable, and to avoid no-fall zones. Life is good enough near the edge, without having to get on it. I do thank the young’uns, though, for showing me what I never thought was possible, and, in the process, expanding my own boundaries a bit more. I am continually amazed by what young people are doing today.

Thanks again for posting the video - I learned from it.

• 2 weeks later...