lots of missings hangers at icicle canyon

genepires

Good to hear there is more going on out there and I want to stir some shit up cuz nobody is talking about it.

Personally Matt I don't care about some of those routes. I think that someone here knows more than what is being said for sure though. I am not going to worry about them for now. But if I come up to a missing anchor you can bet your ass I might replace it if I think it needs it.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the rawls on GRTC were gone with some pieces left in the holes. Thats what made me think someone might be coming back with some chains. Then I read that the anchors left on top were epoxied - I hadn't noticed. So I guess they're not going to get fixed without some effort on someones part. If people are looking for service projects this weekend Dog Dome could use a scrubbing :-) .

I didn't snoop around up there too much, as I really wanted to climb more than do recon. The bolts on top of The Cube are gone, but I wouldn't worry too much about it as the routes are easily top-roped by slinging a rock on top. The routes to the right of the rubbly chimney in the center of the crag seem to be intact. The top-rope anchors for the routes to the right are the one's affected. The hangers atop Shrimp Salad are missing as is the hanger of the single bolt above the top of the easy cracks to its right. The nuts remain and the bolts look ok. At the next anchors left one hanger has already been replaced but the other bolt is missing a hanger and the bolt has been pulled partway out of the rock and spins when you try to nut a hanger onto it. Maybe it could be coaxed into seating again, or maybe it should be pulled and replaced. I didn't get a look at any of the anchors nearer the chimney but they are likely abused too. Did not get a look at the GRTC anchors either. All the anchors I saw were 3/8".

If I had to guess, someone got tired of spending all the money that it takes to equip their 10 pitch sport route legacy in the mtns, and this is their way of getting the community to chip in. Pony up.