Climbing with youn'ins

johnny

I wanted to throw this out there as well. I explained my moving to North Carolina in my other post but.... I will be attempting to be a parent for the first time in my life, the woman I am with has a 4yo girl and an 8yo boy. Any tips for breaking them in gently to climbing and outdoor adventure in general from those who have been through it would be AWSOME!

Being outside is a huge part of my life and I don't want to scare them off with my zeal, I want them to have fun and perhaps become as infected as I am. I know we recently had a thread similar to this but it was mostly philosophy, I need practical solutions and advice. HELP!!!!!!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My experience has been that just about anything outside, done in moderation, is absolute heaven for kids. I suggest car camping first, mostly so you can do some shakedown in a low stress environment. Short walks from the campground, as well as any kind of water activity (fishing, wading, skipping rocks) is good fun that they won't get at home.

Once you graduate to hiking, resign yourself to carrying all the gear for a while, since nothing turns kids under ten off much faster than hiking with a pack (although with all the backpacks at school these days, this might have changed).

Try not to push past their comfort level too fast. When they say they are scared, it doesn't really matter than you think they shouldn't be. Crossing streams on logs and traversing snow covered hillsides fall into this category. Some kids you can't restrain from going in over their head, and some you have difficulty convincing they are capable of the easiest physical challenge. There is no way to know what you have to deal with until you are into it.

The best thing about taking the kids is that you are giving them a gift that doesn't break or wear out. There is nothing better than having your kids tell you how much they loved the campouts and hikes years later. Enjoy.

A word from someone whose parents got him into the outdoors and climbing: Many times I have thanked my parents for introducing me to the outdoors. I remember my older sister absolutely hated going to the mountains. She would scream and fight at the thought of every trip, so my parents often modified our plans to accommodate her. On the otherhand, I always loved going. The funny thing is that now I live in the city and she lives in the Sierra Nevada mountains with climbing all around! I am not saying that kids should be forced merely that sometimes a seed grows where you least expect it to. As for my experience with my kids, I think Dan’s comments sum it up better than I could.

Thanks guys! We have already progressed into the hiking arena and done some pretty long(for the kids--a 4 mile round trip and the 4yo did better than the older boy!) hikes but it is the climbing itself that I am most concerned about.

I grew up climbing and hiking with my dad and I very much appreciate what he did for me. What we never really did was any scrambling/climbing while I was as young as them but I am not sure if I can wait!!!!

I have already bouldered a bit with the older boy and he seemed to really enjoy it. What about roped stuff? how best to approach that?

quote:

Originally posted by David Parker:

The most important thing is to have fun and when it isn't fun anymore (for the kid) it's time to stop, turnaround, go back, give him/her a hug and tell them they did great, etc.

If you remember this and nothing else that is probably enough to ensure that your child is richly rewarded by the outdoor experiences that you share.

My son is four. My wife and I have climbed a three pitch route at Peshastin (Martian Diagonal)with him. He has followed me up Orchard Rock in two pitches, cleaning the pitch of belay anchors and directional anchors. We did the first pitch or R&D on Icicle Buttress. Sunset Slab. If I can't short rope him on a walk off descent, we counter-balance rappel. This week we went to Clamshell Cave and climbed a route(5.6?)and he learned to rappel solo with set up and a tension belay down progressively steeper slabs and then a vertical face. He pretends that he belays, (feeds the rope through his ATC), cleans the belay and pitches of anchors, hangs on the rope, pulls on gear, bounces up and down on the rope, and generally cranks hard for some one that is just 37 inches tall. As long as I remember to stop while it is still fun, we have a great time.

My son is six and we have been doing outdoor activities since he was 4 months old. I like what Dan said and agree. The most important thing is to have fun and when it isn't fun anymore (for the kid) it's time to stop, turnaround, go back, give him/her a hug and tell them they did great, etc.

I got my son into climbing by buying him a box of climbing holds for his birthday. Then we built a climbing wall in my garage. It goes up 8 feet then another 8 at a 45 deg overhang. I have a top rope to put him on belay. The first thing I taught him was to fall. I wanted him to trust the rope and me. He's always been active and took to it right away. We've been to a few crags and even did an "alpine" climb. I try not to push him too hard but just enough to try to discover new "territory." But the most important thing is to have fun and the rest will come.

Is it Ok to spray for my son? Yesterday he climbed two routes on the REI pinnacle, a 5.6 and 5.7. Not bad for age 6!

I am really encouraged by what you said David! Having Spent some time in the Winston Salem area the last year or so in preperation for this move I have found that there is no "convenient" gym to crank in during the week and was contemplating building a small wall of my own. I think that is a great idea to get the kids involved in its' construction, teach them some basic skills and instill confidence.

Retro, you four year old really cleans anchors?? I think that is absolutely awsome!!! If you do what you say and keep it fun for him that kid will definitely be a force to reckon with on the rock! I guess some people would think that is too much too young but if you are safe and your child feels safe than why not??

Thanks guys, I am entering uncharted waters for me and this is exactly the encouragement/advice I need. My father gave me a wonderful gift when I was young (enjoying the outside world) and I want to pass that on and I want to do it WELL!!

I think that this is a great thread. My son is 6 years old. I only get to be with him every other weekend, so I try to take him out to some crags around Spokane, and heve been taking him for the last three or so years. Jonah is dissappointed when we don't go climbing, I think the key for us was that we would just go and have fun.

One other comment I have on how to insure that your kids have fun in the outdoors is to make sure that they are warm and dry. With smaller body weights and likely lower fat percentage they are more suseptable than us.

It is also much harder to find quality gear in their size... but fortunately you can carry more layers without breaking your back.