[TR] Bonanza Peak - East Face 7/25/2013

lukeh

Trip: Bonanza Peak - East Face

Date: 7/25/2013

Trip Report:

I don't have enough time to copy/re-format here as I'm heading off to another climb, but you can read all about this trip on my blog. There are several more descriptive maps, more pics, and the full story, laced with one-liners.

AFAIK we're the only ones who made it up there this year. I added a lot of detail in the maps to help anyone else trying this peak, which I highly recommend.

Bon-8.jpg

Glacier.jpg

More on FB or the blog.

Gear Notes:

Axes, cramps, extra slings, 60m rope were essential, although stronger climbers could probably down-climb everything. We also brought a second tool just in case the bergscrund crossing was going to be tricky, and a small alpine rack. Didn't need the tool, but you probably will shortly as the glacier is really broken up and likely impassable for the less hard core. I left a nut in a sketchy rap station, so I'm glad I brought the rack.

Approach Notes:

Figuring out transportation logistics and getting through the alder between the lake and the pass is probably the hardest part, although the rest still is a bit challenging (for me at least).

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stunning images as usual Luke, thanks! And, as you probably know, in early July the trip is pretty straightforward and quite enjoyable- like take your wife or girlfriend and friends who don't climb much along enjoyable! But way to persevere and get it done, all the while lugging a heavy camera kit and staying up all night to take photos. Impressive.

• 1 month later...