waterproof boot issues...

I have a 2 year old pair of boots (Lowa Timoks) that are mostly leather uppers but with some synthetic fabric on the tongue area and between the laces. They have gore-tex in them, but the membrane is definitely failing me. The leather parts are fine with defunct gore-tex, I can wax them and keep water out, but the synthetic fabric part lets in water very quickly. It's a shame, because they are nicely made boots that would otherwise have lots of life left in them, but even hiking through a short section of dew soaked brush will get my feet very wet.

My question is: Is there any product I can apply on the synthetic fabric on the outside of the boot to keep water out? At this point I don't care about trying to keep breathability, the gore-tex is toast. I just wondered if there was any way I could keep those small synthetic sections waterproof, even if it is something I have to keep reapplying.

Thanks.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SnoSeal wax actually works okay on fabric if reapplied before each trip ... my wife uses it on some beat, mostly fabric scarpa mountaineering boots.

For a more permanent solution I'd look at urethane based stuff ... aquaseal or tent sure from mcnett's depending on how thick you want it. Aquaseal is often used for raft repair and is great stuff, tent sure is a thinner water based version.