Restoring the Mebee Pass Fire Lookout

John_Scurlock

Dear Friends,

The Mebee Pass fire lookout needs our help. It sits on a knoll above Mebee Pass, about eight miles up the East Creek trailhead off the North Cascades Highway (it is not inside a wilderness, by the way). After Steph Abegg and I photographed it this past winter, we decided to launch an effort to restore it. We formed a group, Friends of Mebee Pass Fire Lookout, in order to further our goal. The frail, tiny structure (10'x10'), built eighty years ago, needs a new roof, a new door, and help with one corner that is broken. It's the last of its type still standing, and with the assistance of the US Forest Service/Wenatchee-Okanogan NF and the Methow Valley Ranger District in Winthrop, our effort has begun. The restoration will follow federal guidelines for working on historic structures, but presently we will only be working to stabilize it and preserve it. It won't be a "Hidden Lake" type of project. I know some of you are already aware of what we are doing and have offered help, but I'm here throwing this out to the greater PNW climbing community as well. Our budget is $2,500, which will cover the cost of materials and the use of helicopter sling-load transport of those materials to the site. All the labor will be by volunteers, and amongst the volunteers so far are climbers, hikers, USFS personnel, and fire lookout aficionados. Our primary need at the moment is funding, so if any of you would be willing to make small donations it would be greatly appreciated. We've already raised more than $600 with very little publicity. I'm hoping eventually to have a plaque at the site or at the trailhead thanking sponsors and contributors. The best way to donate is to go to the website below and donate via Paypal. If you wish to donate another way or volunteer you could also contact me at:

mebeepasslookout@gmail.com

Here are a couple of links which provide more information. Special Thanks to Steph Abegg for hosting the Friends of Mebee Pass Lookout

Here's the flyer I've prepared:

Friends of Mebee Pass Lookout flyer

Please note that we are in the process of affiliating with the Forest Fire Lookout Association, and donations will be tax deductible. All donations will be used at our local level, as well.

Thanks in advance to everyone who can help out. Let me know if you want to be on the mailing list. As you may know, the bridge over Granite Creek is collapsed, and one of our goals eventually will be to replace it, in cooperation with the USFS. That won't happen this year, however, but it's certainly on the radar. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions or suggestions. Use the email above, I don't often check my PMs here and the email will come directly to my phone. This is a great, worthy little project, small in physical size but large is local and historical significance. Every little bit helps, and thanks again for your support.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And, if you help out, you won't be limited to human powered tools. The LO is in the land of legal two stroke! Few things get me excited like clearing trail with a chainsaw. I know of a few Choss Dogs who would love to lend a hand, several of whom are on this site.

Thanks to John and Steph for spearheading this noble endeavor!