Shell pants recommendation

ARBrandon

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are your spex? I will assume breathable... so 2 layer or 3? Pockets? Full zip? Will 3/4 zip do? Ankle-only? Will you be wearing them as a main top layer, or just have in the pack for emergency use? For ice climbing? Alpine? Hiking? How much does weight play?

Waterproof breathable pants range from $75 - $450+, depending on the features you need.. most stuff that RETAILS under $200 is 2-layer, so it may not be as effective, and it definitely won't hold up as long as it's 3-layer counterpart. I personally think Gore Paclite is the only way to go for 2-layer stuff, if you really want/have to go 2-layer. Precip and Torrent and similar seem to wear out after a few months regular use. If it's just an emergency shell that'll stay rolled up in a stuff-sack for 99% of it's life, this is an option.. but if you're actually gonna use it, it's not.

Here's a good place to start. Then buy local... http://www.rei.com/search?cat=40005464&cat=40004586&hist=cat%2C40005464%3AMen%27s+Pants%5Ecat%2C40004586%3AMen%27s+Rain+Pants

What are your spex? I will assume breathable... so 2 layer or 3? Pockets? Full zip? Will 3/4 zip do? Ankle-only? Will you be wearing them as a main top layer, or just have in the pack for emergency use? For ice climbing? Alpine? Hiking? How much does weight play?

Waterproof breathable pants range from $75 - $450+, depending on the features you need.. most stuff that RETAILS under $200 is 2-layer, so it may not be as effective, and it definitely won't hold up as long as it's 3-layer counterpart. I personally think Gore Paclite is the only way to go for 2-layer stuff, if you really want/have to go 2-layer. Precip and Torrent and similar seem to wear out after a few months regular use. If it's just an emergency shell that'll stay rolled up in a stuff-sack for 99% of it's life, this is an option.. but if you're actually gonna use it, it's not.

Here's a good place to start. Then buy local... http://www.rei.com/search?cat=40005464&cat=40004586&hist=cat%2C40005464%3AMen%27s+Pants%5Ecat%2C40004586%3AMen%27s+Rain+Pants

Thanks! I'd prefer 3-layer gore-tex or equivalent, 3/4 or full zips would be ideal. Pockets are not a must. I will mostly be using them for alpine climbs. I'd like to be able to wear them as a top layer.

I've eliminated the Precips and Torrents, because like you said, they wear out quickly.

I'm liking the looks of the OR Foray pants...2L Gore Paclite for $160 isn't bad. I may consider the patagucci rain shadows if I can find them in my size.

Do you have a specific make/model you prefer as a primary top layer?

This season I sported a pair of Rab Latoks.. 3layer eVent, 3/4 zip, no pockets, less than a lb.. Perfect alpine shell. I loved em for the few climbs I wore them on (super shitty weather), but then I changed up my whole system and switched to soft shell pants. Last year, I rocked some TNF hivent Guide pants.. Also pretty breathable, but heavy. Full zip was nice, but I generally either wear them or don't... Not a lot of taking on and putting off on-route. I'd rather save weight and stick with a ventable 3/4.

The Latoks are light and compressible enough for emergency use, and my experience with Rab's eVent has thus far been very positive- two jackets, pants, and a tent... Well thought-out kit. Great stuff. Definitely recommend both Rab and eVent.

• 3 weeks later...