Origin of Eldorado snow arete?

philfort

Why is Eldorado (one of?) the only peak in the Cascades with a sharp snow arete on top? Does anyone know what causes that, i.e. why it doesn't just melt off like on every other peak, or why the snow accumulates so thickly right on top?

Is it the orientation of the ridge that's just right or something? Is it a remnant piece of ice/snow? Has anyone else given this any thought?

Phil

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have an answer to your first question, but as to your last question, yes, this has puzzled Eldorado climbers since the beginning. Here is a quote from "The Ascent of Eldorado Peak" by Don Blair in the 1933 Mountaineer:

"The last part of the route lay along a knife-edge of snow. This snow ridge, although apparently higher than the summit rocks, did not appear to be permanent. It is the belief of those in the party that, in a year with normal snowfall, it would not exist that late in the season."

Shows how much they knew. ;-)

--Lowell Skoog

[This message has been edited by Lowell Skoog (edited 01-10-2001).]

I can't explain it either, but the other aretes I've seen up close in the Cascades, though not on the tops of these peaks, include those on the N. Ridge of Forbidden and the N.E. Rib of Johannesburg. I believe they too survive the summer. No doubt there are others. Eldorado's must be the king of them all, though. A real puzzler.

It must be a combination of being in a heavy snowfall area plus having a summit structure that is broad enough to build up a big pile of snow. Probably the summit has to be shaped "just so" to accumulate snow in winter, rather than blowing off.

The only other non-volcanic summit I can think of that may have a permanent snow cap is Mt Fury's east peak. I'm not sure that cap survives every year. There are also nice snow aretes on the NE shoulder of Redoubt and the N rib of The Pyramid in the southern Pickets.

--Lowell

• 4 weeks later...