Wind Shirt

Dave7

Anyone have a recommendation for a wind shirt/ jacket. Looking at Arcteryx Squamish Hoody or Patagonia Houdini. I saw the Marmot DriClime thread too, seems to be an option. Looking to use it for trail running, rock climbing, and hiking.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Houdini is great and on sale a lot. I've used mine for everything from skiing to running.

DriClime's are also nice but they are a two layer deal like a houdini with integrated thin base layer. Great in colder temps but not as versatile for use in wind/sun/bugs.

Rab makes some well regarded ones as well.

The North Face Verto is the best purchase I've made. Clips to your harness, weighs 3 oz., stuffs in its own pocket, has a hood, full zip,a chest pocket, and has elastic around the wrists and waist so it seals you up and keeps the wind out.

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/mens-jackets-vests/men-39-s-verto-jacket.html?from=subCat

The current Houdini has been sublty restyled for "running" - not sure if this has any effect on its mountain-worthiness or not. I have had no problems with the one I got last fall, and it's obviously a super useful piece, but like a lot of Patagonia stuff the cut of the shoulders is a little narrow for the climber build, and in order to not have it poof out around my torso, I wear a size that's a little tight under the arms, especially if I have it over a layer. Most of the time it's not an issue, but other brands sometimes fit better.