Handlheld GPS - What are ya using and why?

Newman55

After spending the weekend out on Mt. Si with KCSAR, I decided that it's time I picked up a handheld GPS.

Stopped by REI last night to take a look and compare models. Realized that REI has recently stopped carrying Delorme and Megellan GPS units and now carries Garmin exclusively. This is disappointing because a year ago REI offered a much broader range of products.

Reading reviews online, it seems that a lot of folks are frustrated with Garmin's software and counter-intuitive interfacing. The Garmin units that have by-far the best reviews on Amazon, (the GPSMAP 60CS line) have been discontinued by Garmin.

It doesn't seem like the Delorme units are particularly more popular on Amazon than the Garmin units, but I find that Amazon shoppers are not the most reliable - as many of them use the units for purposes that do not include back-country navigation.

Intended uses: backpacking, climbing, search and rescue, fishing and hunting.

Would love to hear thoughts and opinions on specific models or on brands as a whole. Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've owned both Garmin & Delorme products and am currently using a delorme product. I purchased the Earthmate with the inReach. I took that to Denali and used it often because it has two way text messaging over satellite for not very much expense. We were able to communicate two ways between all the team members and family at home including dispatching. While the inReach is like the spot (can be used for rescue, simple messaging and tracking) it turned out to be the killer app as far as I'm concerned.

So, the Earthmate is pretty awesome in my opinion. Load maps easily, use USGS topo overlays, good tracking, etc. One of the best features is a lock of the buttons. The stupid Garmin product I had didn't have a lock buttons feature.

In comparing tracking and positioning and satellite acquisition, I really haven't noticed any difference between the Earthmate & Garmin products. They are adequate GPS receivers.

One thing - however - is I'm glad that neither of those devices utilize a touchscreen. I don't like a device that requires touch in the outdoors. Gets dirty, doesn't work well and generally is a pain.

Cale, is there any way you could throw up a post about the InReach unit? I was looking at that and the newer spot, but was leaning more towards the InReach.

I'm also interested in hearing about the InReach. Sounds like Cale has the unit made to link to the Delorme handheld GPS, but I know they also make one that links to a smartphone.

eTrex 30 - light weight, compact size, good reception, good battery life, all basic nav functions, mag. compass, pressure altimeter, easy to read screen, easy to use with gloves on, topo map capability, easy menu navigation, customizable setup, easy to use computer based planning/waypoint mgmt. software.

I've used or played with most of the other options out there. This one wins out.

Ymmv. It works for me. In reality, my GPS gets treated exclusively as a tool ... and sits in my pack most of the year.

Wrist mounted nav units (like the foreTrex 301 and 401) are useable and fully capable but less user friendly in real world use due to more complicated menu interfaces. I would guess the same for the newest (Fenix???) with the added problem of shorter battery life. Those fitness GPS watches are generally useless for real navigation purposes.