Seracing on the eliot glacier

christophbenells

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

- a fun challenge to try to make it all the way through the vast jumble of the middle elliot, just below the n face gullies

Jesus Christ Ivan. (LOL and insert my open mouth wonderment and a gratuitous head shake along with that chuckle). uhhh, first dude, you might reconsider this piece of advice. You'd really have to pick and choose your days and times on this part of Ivan's advice. Shit can come off up there that is making my sphincter pucker 30 years later.....really. As it's finally startin' to cool off, maybe not so much or so bad right now....but (@##X%!!) I'm gonna sound old here but say it anyway, BE CAREFUL if you chose to play hide and seek with the crap caving off the N side!!! I use to go up there solo on hot days for cooling relief and to just train and condition back when I was young. I'd stay well back from the face! Some of the stuff I've seen come off the N side at various spots and random times is somebitch crazy huge stuff. Massive chunks of ice bigger than fright trains, big rocks at high speed. Stuff isn't survivable unless you're superman.

I'd just head up and approach it hiking in from the East side lateral moraine and pick a choice spot and you'll be fine.

Also, I'd suggest you consider taking your best binoculars and look for the folks that were lost up there couple of fatalities back. I'd bet that area below the gullies is where they wound up so scan that area hard. This is the best time of year for looking. I'm sure that the family's would be most grateful if they could give them a proper service. I forget their names but one of them had posted here, and was from Dallas, and the other was from NY I think.

I could be wrong on that of course, I think Ian was on that rescue, maybe he has some thoughts.

Anyway, have fun!