Police attack cliff, blast Peregrines

billcoe

Don't know if anyone saw the front page of the Oregonian today. The Portland police chose Cape Horn cliffs to do a live fire training exercise.....forgot to tell anyone or ask first. Sounded like a war zone it's said. Turns out they didn't know the popular Cape Horn trail was right there on the top, that the cliffs had Petroglyphs, That it was a national scenic area (whatever that means) or that Peregrines were using the cliff to nest.

pffft, live and learn.

On a positive note, they cliffs now have some extra holes/holds to facilitate easier climbing, but of course it's manmade. LOL

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya gotta go where the birds are Ivan. I saw them still there as of @2 weeks when I hiked that lower Cape Falls trail. Maybe the cops chased them out and they're homeless now. Can you say "migratory bird act"? The Forest Service is still feeling a tad butt hurt over the fact that some hiking enthusiasts just showed up and put that trail in there LOL. Great trail. Nice to see the FS start to get onboard. I think that it's close to the best trail in the gorge, that lower one ducks behind a waterfall and you can see Cigar Rock and that sweet looking columnar basalt below which now has bullet holes in it. The upper one has great views. Anyway, in any contest between Peregrines and SWAT troops spraying live 5.56 everywhere, my money is on SWAT.