[TR] Le Petit Cheval - Spontaneity Arête 9/1/2012

KaskadskyjKozak

Trip: Le Petit Cheval - Spontaneity Arête

Date: 9/1/2012

Trip Report:

This weekend I opted to try for Spontanaity Arête. On my last attempt (also over Labor Day Weekend) we had trouble with rain and snow and bailed at the base of the final pitch. This time we had cold and wind but no hydrological issues and summited.

My partners for the trip were JP, DR, and AC. AC and I roped up together - she took the odd-numbered pitches and I the even. This was AC's second alpine rock lead (the first being the Tooth). We all agreed that the whole route is awesome with just one "weak" pitch (the 5th). We decided to do the optional seventh pitch - a glorious 5.7 3" crack. Our only complaint was that this pitch was too short!

Pictures follow.

AC scrambling on the approach:

P1010806.JPG

Ascending the third(?) fixed line:

P1010810.JPG

View up the first pitch. Just out of view is a nice hand crack with some 5.7 moves:

P1010812.JPG

The 5.7 roof (pitch 2). I led this and found it to be one of the best and most fun:

P10108131.JPG

This is where we started the third pitch. I believe we free solo'd part of the pitch before we got blocked by some exposed moves and roped up again:

P1010816.JPG

AC on pitch 5. Pitch 6 is visible at the top of the screen. This was the only "lame" pitch (all 5.easy):

P10108171.JPG

AC starts up the glorious 3" crack on the final pitch:

P1010819.JPG

AC and DR join me on the final summit scramble. There is some spicy 4th class up here. JP opted to stay about 20 feet below on safer ground:

P1010829.JPG

Mountain p0rn from the summit:

P1010826.JPG

Victory!

P1010830.JPG

AC all smiles as we rap the upper route and avoid the shitty gully as long as possible:

P1010832.JPG

Gear Notes:

Small to mid-size alpine rack up to 3"

Approach Notes:

Dry.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious, on the second pitch with the roof I tried to go up and left over the top but didn't think I could do it so I went down and right underneath. Did you go just underneath the right side of the roof, center of photo, or what?

The hand crack lie back on the last pitch was my favorite too.

Jim

I'm curious, on the second pitch with the roof I tried to go up and left over the top but didn't think I could do it so I went down and right underneath. Did you go just underneath the right side of the roof, center of photo, or what?

The hand crack lie back on the last pitch was my favorite too.

Jim

We went underneath the right side of the roof. I believe I saw that mentioned in a description of the route somewhere.

when I first read the title I thought it was some virtually inaccessible place like Chamonix, LOLZ! But no this is right here in our own back yard, nice.

Hey Buckaroo - glad you liked the photos!

This climb was done first just a few years ago and the TR posted right here on cc.com. Since then it has become quite popular.

I got the scoop on this route in 2004 on my honeymoon from some dude named Mark Allen, who suggested it as an alternative to other popular moderate routes in WA Pass area. It turns out he knew what he was talking about since he knew about the FA but I dragged my wife up Liberty Bell instead.

It was the third wife whom I thought would enjoy a rock climbing adventure as a honeymoon.

I am currently single.

Edited by matt_warfield