Does Anyone Really Care?

PrincessWookie

All too common refrain. Self absorbtion seems to be rampant. I know what I'll do with my free time - I'll take another (fill in the blank) tai chi, cooking, pen and ink class - instead of volunteering or anything like that.

That is true for most. I think that's why I chose Alaska to live at this point in my life. We're a certain rare breed up here and the Lower 48 mentality doesn't really apply to us. Maybe we are all self absorbed to some degree... In Interior Alaska what I like is that folks are sure willing to help and go out of their way: We help folks get diesel for their stove if they run out at 50 below, offer to help light a fire under cars when there oil pan heater goes out, help to haul water if their car won't start, offer a gun or bear spray if they go out in the bush to help with grizzly protection, help the neighbor cut up his moose, and make sure his dogs are fed and watered if he's out of town. We run 50K's to raise money for folks with cancer and leukemia.... good people up here...I just can't seem to care much about politics is all.

I agree helping the next guy is helping ones country. I'm happy to say I see similar things happening where I live all the time.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" Gandhi

That's some heavy shit right there. I may have to change my signature now. Gonna be tough to move Muir out though...

Finally I will say I believe apathy to be one of our worst enemies, very close to extremism of all kinds.

d

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.. ...

I'm more tired of the city hipster scene that revolves around the latest cafe subculture or whatever naval gazing repertoir.

Thanks, Jim. Yeh, I know the folks of which you speak, and I'm not better than they are really. I do know I should care but I'm just having a hard time. It's just upsetting to me.

Also, not to mislead folks...I do love being an American and don't take my freedoms for granted. I am grateful for being born here.

You know what? Let's see how my state of mind is a few months from now when I move back to Central WA...maybe I'll be on of those folks holding signs on the street corner encouraging all to vote!

I agree helping the next guy is helping ones country. I'm happy to say I see similar things happening where I live all the time.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" Gandhi

That's some heavy shit right there. I may have to change my signature now. Gonna be tough to move Muir out though...

Finally I will say I believe apathy to be one of our worst enemies, very close to extremism of all kinds.

d

I love you, d.