Tetons (and more?) - July/August

jadias

Ok, a brief introduction. Firstly I'm not American... I'm English. However I love the States and all you lovely American people and I have a hankering to go back. I do not have a particularly comedy stereotypical accent but I can work on one if it's a deal-breaker.

Anyway I've been climbing for about a year now. Leading trad routes up to about 5.6 (including 'big' mountain routes by UK standards), seconding up to 5.8-5.9 but I'm hoping to be leading at least 5.8 by the time the summer rolls around. Also getting into winter this year, soloed short pitches up to WI4 so far and seconded WI5. Climbed a little WI5+ on top rope. Again, keen to keep pushing (within limits!).

I want to get into alpine routes. I want to go back to the Tetons, which I visited a couple of times some years ago, because they are stunning. Now that I'm a climber I figure I can do both together. I'm currently living in Japan and the summers here are horrendous so if possible I'd like to spend July/August somewhere slightly more tolerable!

My plans are rough right now, and uncertain, but I'm really hopeful this will pan out. July/August in the US, particularly the Tetons but potentially other alpine areas too. Gain alpine experience and do some classic routes (Grand Teron via Exum Direct, Moran via CMC, etc). Mostly rock I guess but can possibly bring my ice kit too. Oh and do all this relatively cheaply!

So, would anyone be interested in this? Presumably not for the whole 1-2 month stretch, but even just for a few days. I hope I'm fun to climb with (I don't take things too seriously unless I need to!), I'm not hopelessly inexperienced (although I'm always keen to learn from someone better than me!) and I have no aversion whatsoever to dirtbagging it.

If you're interested, let me know where you are or where you'd like to be climbing, and when, and let's work something out!

Cheers!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Foreign climbers are welcome to join the AAC. I grew up about two hours from the Tetons in Idaho Falls, and may have family business necessitating a visit next summer. I'd be happy to link up with you in my old stomping grounds if I find myself in the area. Probably more effective to keep in touch via personal email. My address is curthaire@nwi.net. I also have a few acquaintances living around Jackson Hole to whom I could refer you if I can't get there.

-Haireball

Foreign climbers are welcome to join the AAC. I grew up about two hours from the Tetons in Idaho Falls, and may have family business necessitating a visit next summer. I'd be happy to link up with you in my old stomping grounds if I find myself in the area. Probably more effective to keep in touch via personal email. My address is curthaire@nwi.net. I also have a few acquaintances living around Jackson Hole to whom I could refer you if I can't get there.

-Haireball

sobo - damn! just missed me - I graduated from Skyline High in 1971 and haven't lived in Idaho since. never got over bein' a "nuke's kid" though... we otta get together!

Yeah - about the user-name, glad you guys at least recognize it -- nothing worse than hearing someone pronounce it "Monty 'Pee-ton'" where have they been for the past forty years?!?!?

Thanks! The Ranch looks great. Do you know if non-Americans can join the AAC?

When I stayed there, AAC membership wasn't required, but that was decades ago, so who knows.

I know they're trying to improve their membership, but I'd need a stronger reason than just to be able to stay at the Ranch. You could check/post on their bulletin board even if you aren't staying there.

Edited by curtveld

sobo - damn! just missed me - I graduated from Skyline High in 1971 and haven't lived in Idaho since. never got over bein' a "nuke's kid" though... we otta get together!
Shite, old man, you graduated when I was in the 6th grade! We were there from 06/73 to 06/75. But I know your school, cuz it was my sister's alma mater in 1974 and my brother went there, too. Our house was right across Skyline Drive from the school; the last house as you left town going west (1795 Brenthaven Drive). Talk about a small world...

Yeah - about the user-name, glad you guys at least recognize it -- nothing worse than hearing someone pronounce it "Monty 'Pee-ton'" where have they been for the past forty years?!?!?
Recognize it??? Shite, I memorized the entire script from an LP (yeah, I mean vinyl) when I was 15! Snippets from the script are The Great Introducer wherever I've traveled! :)