Photochromatic Glacier Glasses?

JasonG

Worth the $$$$?

I'm interested in what folks think about these. I am in need of a new pair and my Julbo Cat IV lenses are often too dark when switching from snow to rock....seems like the newer photochromatic lenses would do the trick, but am interested if they really work as advertised.

Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got four pairs of photochromic lenses from Julbo.. the Zebras (Julbo Advance, Julbo Race, Julbo Revolution Goggles), and the Camel (Julbo Explorer), and I like them all a lot. They transition slowly (over the course of minutes), but they do transition and it is noticeable. I never have a problem with them being too dark on rock or too bright on snowfields and glaciers. The Camels are polarized cat. 2-4, and the Zebras are not polarized cat. 2-4.. but the Camel lenses are darker than the zebras at all times - still, they have never been so dark that I felt I needed to take them off.

One thing about polarized lenses; they can obscure the lens on some watches (i.e., Polar HR monitors). Had to get rid of a pair of polarized glasses when I couldn't even see the time (or my HR) when wearing them. Guess it depends on the plastic/glass used in the watch--and how it's aligned in comparison to your glasses. Imagine it could be a problem with some other electronics as well. Who would have thought?