Anyone have experience with North Face Dome tents?

xcxre8

So a friend of mine is offering me a "Dome 5" tent. I'm embarrassed to admit I've never even heard of these.

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/equipment-tents/dome-5.html?from=subCat&variationId=56P

I've been using a VE25 for 10+ years, and thought this was the burliest of TNF's line. I'd love to know what justifies the 400% price increase. I see the size and some of the materials, but that's not enough I don't think. Anyone actually used one? Is it just engineered better?

Thanks for any and all help.

Edited by xcxre8

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

forget the price.

it weighs 31 fucking pounds. would you really be using that in place of where you've used your VE25????

you should be embarrassed to consider it, hehe, but really the above post suggesting it is a himalaya base camp tent and when the context is $40k+ a pop at a mountain really it is a pittance.

not intended for anything functional I can think of in the cascades unless you had a group of 6 who want to camp together in on tent on the top of mt adams of rainier? just a guess of possible use..

i've been using using a previous version of yours, ve23 or 24 or something for 15 years or so and still going strong. if it's just you & your buddy, i don't see any reason to "upgrade". still, if you must, you could do worse than these price point tents:

for your kids' backyard camping, one-up your neighbors w/ one of these tnf dome

more seriously, if you're considing a basecamp tent basecamp tent

for your hanging belay bivies, only $50,000 hanging bivy for that ultra-extreme pitch

Edited by its MR.gumby 2u