Gear guidance for Mt. Adams

ashish

I need some guidance on gear required to climb Mt. Adams South Route during mid-october. Looks like it's going to be pretty cold. The ranger was saying they had temps varying between 40s to 70s at the station now. So I am assuming it will be pretty cold up above come mid-october. I would like to know what among these will be needed:

- Plastic double boots vs. Sturdy backpacking boots (which accept strop-on crampons)

- Down jacket/parka vs. Primaloft 1 synthetic jacket.

Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Boots: Leave the plastics at home and take the leathers, assuming that they are doubled. Lightweight leather summer hiking boots are NOT recommended in October.

Jacket: Either one, but if you take the puffy, make sure you have a shell to protect the down from getting wet.

If you have insulated overboots you can probably still use those lightweight hiking boots and the strap-on crampons in October. Make sure you get everything fitted and are happy with the setup before you leave. You're gambling on a weather window of course. Current conditions are snow and 60 mph winds on summit.