Rottweilers

chirp

...and after spending way too much on various new knee repairs on our rescues, we are looking seriously for a puppy with zero health issues and would love if anyone has first hand (or second) recommendations on a quality (local if possible) breeder.

We adored our old buddy Max, but lost him to cancer 2 years ago.

max1.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no such thing as a dog with zero health issues especially if you insist on getting a "pure"(in) bred dog and most certainly if you want another rottie. I've had dogs all my life and spent much time working with rescues (specifically rotties and pits)

She passed this last december from breast cancer. "Pure" bred Dane that I spent a small fortune on. In the end we just couldn't get around the fact that it was her genes that betrayed her despite the fact that she came from the most reputable Dane breeder in the Midwest. Miss her like crazy!

DSCF2460.JPG

This guy has got some big shoes to fill. Dane/newfie/ ? mix recently adopted from the local shelter.

DSC03213.JPG

Adopt a mutt and you'll both be happier and healthier! Good luck with finding a new best friend regardless of where you decide to get them!

Thanks Kirk,

We're still in something of a search and having had rescues (save for our Lab) we have just had off luck I guess.

Every single one has required two TPLO surgeries (among other things), I wonder if we are cosmically pegged as "knee issue loving people" or what but after 15k we really tired of spending our meager dough on repairs. I know they exist and I know rescue is the way to go with all the dogs in need of homes ( preaching to the choir there), that would be the obvious choice. We were hoping for a breeder with skill enough to balance the health issues.

Every person we know with rescue rotts has issues...so naturally we were thinking of a pup from a skilled breeder.

You get the dog you need, not the one you want is a familiar axiom...so by putting it out there, were hoping for a little "magic".

Who knows, but for now were casting our line in the direction of a good rep and issue free breeders, I know they exist but if the cards fall on another rescue we probably won't say no.

Max was a Rott/Mastiff mix from a shelter and he was insanely cool and loving.

Beautiful pups you have/have had and I can totally see your point. Well just keep the channel open :)

"we are looking seriously for a puppy with zero health issues and would love if anyone has first hand (or second) recommendations on a quality (local if possible) breeder."

After our last Rottie died of cancer @ just barely 3 I went looking for another. We have had Rotties in the family for 30+ years and I love them dearly. Much as I love the breed I will be hard pressed to ever own another because of the numbers I was quoted and the research I have done. I don't think the health of the breed is getting any better in the US. And now understand why they bring in dogs from Europe so regularly.

I have to wonder now if the breeding population reached a critical point after WWII.

I quizzed several breeders in the NW and West Coast. When pressed all admitted to a full 25% of their dogs died of cancer. If they admitted to that # freely I suspect the number is actually higher. Loosing a 3 year old was devastating to us.

We've had several breds over the years, and generally two full size dogs at once. One is the rare situation and not intentional.

The Rots and Dobie's came from reputable breeders generally. All died of Cancer. The rest (all breeds) came from shelters. And some of them died of cancer as well,but generally at an older age and a full life. We aren't the only ones this has happened to with Rottie pups.

The breed I am most impressed with for health issues is the Labradoodle...same with a goldendoodle although they are a little frufru for my taste :) And neither shed which is a plus. Although ours is bothered by the heat so we keep him pig shaved. Problem solved. We had looked at several litters from back yard breeders but actually adopted a puppy abandoned at the Factoria shelter by chance. Awesome dog from literally day one, who is now at 4.

Bellevue Humane Society has most of their dogs on line but a few aren't.

"You get the dog you need, not the one you want", good call. And good luck!

Marley, 85# Labor mutt, that would live in the water given the chance. He has an amazingly gentle disposition for a big male.

P1030703.JPG

Excellent info and post Dane, thanks very much!

Were still in a quandry and will probably hold off for now unless a pup comes to us.

Sucks the breeding is so messed up with that breed.

/sigh. patience will be key and as it stands were still loving our 2 buddies right now so we can get our fix anytime :)

Thanks again for the quality breed specific info.

Stay tuned.