[TR] Coethedral..the dirty dirty - Gothic Rocks 6/9/2011

jrex

Trip: Coethedral..the dirty dirty - Gothic Rocks

Date: 6/9/2011

Trip Report:

We had to return a keg to Fearless Brewing and thought might as well hit up Coethedral and see if the snow has melted off....It has not. A large tree blocks the road at 1.2 miles from the trail head then snow for most of the hike in. Once your there the climbing is dirty loose and sweet. Huge wall with tons of bolts...bring a helmet and brass balls. I don't know if i am still not supposed to post directions and route info but if you want it, I do have the guide and climbmax is going Out of Biz so you can't get it there anymore. Let me know and I will send you the beta

cathedral_054.JPG

cathedral_062.JPG

cathedral_067.JPG

cathedral_104.JPG

cathedral_101.JPG

Gear Notes:

Quick draws and slings....lots of them...Some routes have over 30 bolts

Approach Notes:

walk

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good on your guys for getting on it! That's figgan awesome. Post the full meal deal any time, it's your guy's place to say and do as you see fit. Tim is putting it in his next book, so if you want to bang out some new routes, do it now and send it into him as he really wants the info to be as current as possible.

Hands on "Bewitched" on a clear warm day below. This is how you want it to be. I can tell I was face climbing too much back then, no scabs on the backs of my soft looking hands. Like right now I can see @ 30-40 scabs as I type from handjams last Saturday. I had tape and benzoin in my backpack too so no reason for it I guess.

hands.jpg

Kyle Silverman photo

In 2009 the road finally cleared off like July 4th. We need a few warm days in a row still for it to get good up there I suspect.

Here's a couple of links that you might find helpful. Look at the Tombstone road cam and it gives a close approximation of what it will be up there for you guys. It's the middle highway 20 one on this link. http://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/RCMap.asp?curRegion=4&mainNav=RoadConditions There are 3 cameras and the elevation is marked on them all. If it's clear a few days previous and doesn't rain before then you'll know what it will look like. Check the Feb shots below as indicative. A few days apart, and the snow just kept dumping through mar-april till it covered the camera over 20' up the pole. LOL!

2010_02_22_US20atTombstone_afternoon.jpg

2010_03_010_US20atTombstone_afternoon.jpg

Here's the best snow depth link: http://www.wunderground.com/StateSnowDepth.asp?state=OR Clackamas Lake/Peavine Ridge use to be the best to look at as it was @3500 feet and very close in the same area. Clear Lake (near to Mt Hood) might be OK to use now as I don't see Clackamas now. If you click off to the right like say: Clear Lake, you will see it got dusted by an inch of snow this week. http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/sntl-data0000.jsp?site=401&days=7&state=or

Check out how fast it's melting this week from the Mud Ridge data. It started the week at 21 inches and is now only 6"! Woot! Soon that log will get sawn off by a hunter and the road will be clear.

MUD RIDGE 06/07 0000 10.0 21.0

06/08 0000 9.0 20.0 -1.0 -1.0

06/09 0000 8.5 18.0 -0.5 -2.0

06/10 0000 7.5 16.0 -1.0 -2.0

06/11 0000 6.0 12.0 -1.5 -4.0

06/12 0000 4.5 10.0 -1.5 -2.0

06/13 0000 3.6 6.0 -0.9 -4.0

06/14 0000 2.2 6.0 -1.4 0.0

At least this will help you guys to know how many layers to bring. LOL!

Here's the overview pic of the main wall. For some reason the blow up feature isn't working. I can email a larger vesion if you have to squint:-)

Have fun!

:wave:

Resized_Routes_2010_08_04_for_cover.jpg