Bad Knees

allthumbs

I realize we talked about knees last week, but I have one more thing to say about the subject. This last year or so my knees throb and hurt like hell by the time I get back to the car. I finally talked to a doctor that hikes and does some limited climbing and he suggested that I try the following recipe for a few trips before I either quit hiking altogether, or consider more drastic measures -- under the knife, for instance.

His advice was to start taking 600mg. of Ibuprofen three times per day for 3-4 days before I go hiking. This evidently will really get it going through my blood stream. If this doesn't work, then he said to come see him for the x-rays.

I'll try it anyway. If it works, it sure beats the alternatives.

trask

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

try a more padded shoe...but not one that constricts blood flow to your feet.

or try some those superfeet insoles..

there are many options before gettin cut...i have had sore knees since i was about 14....moto x and skiing have taken their toll, but i do not consider surgey an option...i am too young....plus i had my shoulder worked on and it took forever before i could kick some ass again!!!! shit i am still weak!!!

good luck yo!!

and remember doping your system with ibu..is harsh on the stomach and kidneys....

Well trask, you came to the right place to talk about knee problems.

I would go to a good Orthopedic surgeon and try and find out WHAT is causing your knee pain. There could be a gazzillion reasons why. Do you have any clicking when you bend your knee? Where is your pain - is it on the surface of the joint (possibly a tendon), or does it feel like it is below the kneecap or deep inside the knee joint (possibly cartilage). Another thing to ask yourself, is how bad your knee pain really is (in comparison to other aches and pains).

Once you see an Orthopedic surgeon, I would try and find a good physical therapist - preferably one that climbs, hikes, or is a mountaineer.

Inflammation of the soft tissues (tendons) can be relieved through physcial therapy (so long as you have a good physical therapist). Often times, soft tissue pain and inflammation can be treated/eliminated by using deep tissue pressure to loosen and relax the soft tissue. A physical therapist can give you the details on these treatments. I have never used anti-inflammatories, and they tend to only be effective for short periods of time. I'm sure there are valid reasons for using medication, but I would avoid it if you can.

Now, if you have cartilage damage, there are some surgeries that can remove the damaged cartilage and help reshape a smoother surface of the cartilage. These procedures can dramatically reduce/eliminate your pain if your problem is cartilage damage. I believe there are some procedures where they can harvest your own cartilage, then "grow" additional cartilage in the lab, and then add that to areas of the knee where there is severe cartilage damage. These are usually done arthroscopically, and are pretty uninvasive. Downtime is pretty minimal, although that depends on the exact procedure. Simple arthroscopies don't require a whole lot of rehab time; although, arthroscopic retinacular lateral releases and ligament reconstructions require longer rehab time.

Do you feel any instability in your knees? If so, you would probably know by know. But, some people (like Alex Lowe) have gone years with torn ligaments without knowing about it.

I would definitely have your knees looked into. It may not require surgery at all, and it may very well be a situation that can be relieved by proper physical rehab. Avoid drugs (except for recreational use) if you can, and if your doctor recommends surgery, get a second opinion from another orthopedic surgeon before you proceed.

Don't forget to stretch, stretch, stretch before and after you excercise or climb.

As for me, I will be undergoing a tibial tubericle transfer (TTT) as well as having some cartilage damage and calcium deposits removed from my left knee July 25th. Six months to a year later, I get to have the same thing done on my right knee. What fun...

Oh, I forgot to add a couple of things to that essay. Use trekking poles if you can. They do help. Also see if you can get custom orthotics made. They will also help. My insurance paid for mine, but I do not know if you will be so lucky.

Many people have had positive results from taking Glucosamine and Chondroiton Sulfate. Some brands are not as effectively absorbed as others. Here is a link with some brand comparisons: http://consumerlab.com/results/gluco.asp

If you have any other questions, let me know.