Conditions on Shuksan N Face?

goatboy

Anyone been up to the N Face of Shuksan lately?

Wondering about coverage of the hateful slide alder on the approach, and any other reports about snow conditions up there.

Hoping to go up there in the next few weeks (not this coming week though).

Thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't recall any reports on that route (or any route for that matter) on Shuksan this last winter and recent Spring. I probably keep track of such things as well as most anyone living in Seattle, at least.

It will continue to snow up there all of this coming week, (freezing levels/snow levels down to 2000 ft on Tues/Wed.

Of course read the Last of the Season sowpack reports on the Northwest Avalanche Center website (good prognosis of the upcoming week if you really scour all the material on their Mtn. Weather report page.

If there ever was a year (in the last number of years) for the heinous brush in the White Salmon Creek drainage to be quite well covered this is it.

Your choice of a spring for the ascent is a good one. Tons (and I mean tons) of uncolidated snow at present will make it necessary for good flotation to avoid a wallowfest.

The best place to get the most up to date info (lacking a recent TR, may be contacting the Mt. Baker Ski Area, Pro Ski Patrol avalanche control folks, (the ski area may remain open for a couple more weeks on a weekend basis). Or contact American Alpine Institue in Bellingham (they're certainly closest to your objective).

Hope there's something contained here of benefit lacking anyone's direct experience.

Anyone else with thoughts on this?

Shuksan was skied several times over the last couple of days, check TAY for reports. A party turned around (and went down the NW couloir), and did not drop in to the NF due to a reactive 1' windslab. Still winter up there, no matter what the calendar says.

JasonG and goatboy, this is exactly why CC.com is so valuable in its timliness and the immedicancy of the information we are seeking. Thanks for responding. I need to read TAY on more like a daily basis. Even NW Hikers.net frequently yields timely information.

Isn't the interweb a wonderful thing?