More close calls

mikeadam

Speaking of other close calls I fell headfirst into a camoflouged tree well about 2 weeks ago. The things I thought about as the snow started caving in around me were:

1. That poor kid who died at Alpental 2. Damn this suffocation feeling seems familiar! 3. I'm not wearing any underwear the coroner is going to see my johnson.4. How ironic.5. Stay calm.

It took me about 20+ minutes to get out of that hole and the only thing that saved my ass was a pine bough that was near my face where I could duck my head around behind it and get an airspace. Don't ski out of bounds alone!

a few weeks ago a friend of mine Leah, was buried by a slide while snowshoing alone in the Gold Creek Valley. Her dog saved her life by digging her out. The slide initiated somewhere above her and like so many slides in this area was not caused by the person caught in it.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't take that dog (or any dog for that matter) climbing with me. She grew very protective of my wife over the years and so whenever my wife wanted to punish me or just show off for a guest, she would start slapping my shoulder and give this high pitched yell "hey, stop it" and the dog would flat out attack me biting and slobbering and everything.

She thought it was sooo funny.

I tried everything except an animal psycologist and letting it sleep in our bed to get it to like me. In the end, that dog disliked me almost as much as I disliked it. mad.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0

A couple of winters back I was ice climbing in Banff with a couple other dudes. We climbed Louise Falls and after topping out, we started the walkoff to the climber's right and one dude tripped over his crampons and nearly went head first over a cliff shocked.gif" border="0 He got stopped by two tiny trees just short of the edge. I was right behind him and I had to reach a tool down for him to grab to get him back up. It would have been sick to see him go over. [hell no]