New Quark - Old Quark Mods

DanielHarro

I recently purchased a set of new Quarks for "the boss" and was anxious to try and use the upper hand match / trigger on my old style quarks and this is what I found.

The trigrest does not fit the old Quark in the way it works on the new Quark. Meaning it is not able to move up and down the shaft, so it is used as a fixed piece. Here it is on the upper shaft.

IMG_02311.JPG

IMG_02322.JPG

Here is the trigrest lower down on the shaft. Note that I am using the trigger as well, but you do not have too. It get a super sold fit, it may be beneficial to use a small rubber shim for a tight fit.

IMG_02351.JPG

Here is a comparison of the two tools. They have almost identical dimensions.

IMG_0233.JPG

Old quark 24ounces

New quark 20 ounces

Feel free to post questions, ideas or comments.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the pics.

I have the old quarks with petzl grip tape above the orange grip. I don't get pumped hanging on the grip tape and have found high grip attachements annoying. Finger triggers have given my finger pain and suck for going with different glove configurations.

PA260067.JPG

Good info Daniel, thanks.

I am a big fan of matching hands on the same tool. I find it can be much more effecient for me on some terrain. I also use the high dagger position a lot on easier alpine terrain as a very secure position with little effort involved.

I wouldn't be in any big hurry to get rid of your old Quarks if you can fit the new Petzl upper grip and use it to your advantage.

As Jens mentioned the "trigger" has some issues and can result in torn finger tendons in cold weather. I'd be careful of using one. Very easy to over load your index finger and blow it out.

I found the new Petzl piece to be easy to position and install. Once it is bolted tight it seems solid and fits a gloved hand very well.