What to do with retired Ropes?

chris_w

As I recently retired my climbing rope, I added it my pile of other retired ropes. I am part packrat so I can't just pitch them. So what do you do with them?

The only interesting suggestion I have heard was to start with one end and coil the rope around and glue it to a piece of wood to make a doormat. I can then pass them out as christmas gifts. Cheap, but with a personal touch. Any other good suggestions for someone with minimal crafting abilities.

chis

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) chop em up into 1-time-only use rap slings for wilderness bails. snafflehounds will eat what is left behind = no fixed installation to get the rangers pissed at you

2) use them as rap lines for scrubbing new routes

3) hoist your engine block

4) hang your hammock, tarpaulin etc.

5) dog leash, belt, other fashion accessory

6) strip out the core and use the sheath to make super lightweight chalk bag belt.

7) dominatrix accessory for tying up clients tongue.gif

On rappels, strange that when ever I leave an old carabiner or rappel ring at a station, it is always gone shortly thereafter. Replace the slings, sure, but why not leave the ring behind for others to use. perhaps some prefer to keep the area clean or are worried about unknown gear. I can understand that.

-iain

being an income-challenged individual who doesn't own a roof-rack system worth more than the car I drive, I use old ropes to lash things on my gerry-rigged cartop rack. I've also turned them into tree-swings for my kids, "Bachar-ladders" for upper body training, tow-ropes for yanking careless drivers out of ditches, lashing up tree-house elements, clotheslines - you name it. I've even unravelled short sections to use the fibers for fly-tying...

[This message has been edited by haireball (edited 08-16-2001).]

If they are still usable as top ropes, I know of a grass roots women's climbing organization that would take a few. The more experienced chicks in the group have been trying to get some ropes so they can stop setting up top ropes for novices using their own lead ropes.

Send me a private message and I'll pass on your contact info.