Mounaineering boot with the widest toebox?

TurinTheLost

I was wondering what advice people could give me on technical mountaineering boots with the widest toebox. I have a pair or Scarpa 6000's right now and they kill my wide feet. I thought they would get broken in. But after a year of pretty good use they still give me major problems. Also they have a major heel slip issue(=gnarly blisters), I cant lace them down tight enough.

Anyways some solid advice would be most appreciated.

Edited by TurinTheLost

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always been under the impression Scarpa is wider than Sportiva. I personally get a good fit out of Scarpa (I have a pair of 6000s and phantom lights) but cant get a good fit out of sportiva. I should mention though I havent tried on the latest models that just came out... I dont know if they changed the last or not. I'm surprised you dont get a good fit out of the 6000s as they have a moldable liner: did you mold them at the time of purchase?

Well I've got wide ones and the Aku Spyder GTX fits great if you can find them. Otherwise usually a boot with fabric uppers and a minimal rand combined with work on a rubbing bar or stretching vise has been my best bet.

Sportiva has a narrow last in their single boots as they seem to want to be the lightest by ounces over the others over common sense underfoot (had a pair and couldn't believe how narrow the sole was).

You might try a pair that are a bit long, I've had good luck in trail shoes and plastic boots going longer for a better fit and boots have the shank and heft to make up for a less than close to the toe fit.

You might contact a boot fitter and see if they can widen the toe box. People do this with plastic ski boots all the time, but some of the techniques might work an a non-plastic boot as well.

Edited by pcg