Crampons?

Flukeman

I've been backpacking for many years,but am new to mountain climbing.I'm planning on climbing Mt.Adams in Sept. was wondering if crampons are necessary or if micro spikes would work.Also if anyone has an opinion on military surplus crampons,I've noticed they're considerably cheaper(around $20) but, in my experiance one usually gets what they pay for.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What route are you planning to take - South Side? I've seen people in tennis shoes using tree branches as hiking sticks and people in full on expedition gear on that route. If you're comfortable on steep snow, you could probably get by with just an ice axe and your micro spikes. My wife and I climbed that route about 10 years ago in September and I don't think we used our crampons.

I will be taking the South side,My plan was trekking poles and micro spikes.Thanks for the advice,I will definetly be watching the conditions,what about the cheap(surplus)crampons, any opinions,I don't want to waste money or risk my life on something that will fail.

You could also just get "instep crampons" that will strap right onto your regular hiking boots as a just-in-case policy. As long as snow conditions are "normal" for that time of year, they will be perfect (and much better than micro spikes).

i think september, the snow will be sparse enough you could pick your way up the majority of the route without getting on snow, except for the flat section from pikers peak till the next part to the full summit.

microspikes, forget the crampons. about a month ago, we brought microspikes and didn't use them. though we started well after sunrise so the glissade was soft. if we were climbing before sunrise the microspikes would have been used.

have fun