Trashing rocks in the name of art

Kyle

You can visit the artist at http://www.fatali.com-------------------------------------------------

From http://www.nps.gov/morningreport

00-661 - Arches NP (UT) - Follow-up: Resource Violations

On the morning of September 19, 2000, visitors reported that fires had been set in the area immediately around Delicate Arch. Investigating rangers found that four fires had apparently been lit on the previous night, one of which was still smoldering. Three of the fires, set on bare rock and sand directly underneath and beside Delicate Arch, caused scorching and discoloration of the red sandstone. Efforts by local park staff to restore the fire scars were unsuccessful, in part because of the presence of an oily or waxy substance that stained and penetrated into the rock surface beneath each of the scars. An intensive investigation led to the identification of Michael Fatali, 36, of Springdale, Utah, as the man who had set the fires. On October 19th, Fatali was charged in federal court with several violations of federal law in connection with these fires and others set at Canyonlands NP. Fatali, who apparently used the fires as a photographic technique, is charged with injuring or defacing mineral resources in a national park; unauthorized fire in a national park; lighting or using a fire that damages or burns national park resources; leaving a fire unextinguished on public lands; and aiding and abetting. Each of the seven misdemeanor counts carries a potential maximum prison sentence of six months and a fine of up to $5,000. Investigators believe that Fatali used Duraflame logs to start several of the fires, and that Fatali started similar fires about four years ago at Horsehoof Arch and in a slot canyon known as "The Joint Trail," both in Canyonlands NP. Restoration work on the Arches burns was completed on October 20th. Two of the three fire scars are no longer visible, and the worst of the three fire scars - the one directly beneath the arch - looks much better than before, though still visible. The rehabilitation project was undertaken by Bob Hartzler, NPS architectural conservator from Santa Fe, with assistance from Angelyn Rivera of Bandelier NM. Hartzler has described their efforts as follows: "Our treatments were conservative, consistent with our practice of balancing treatment effectiveness against the impact of the treatments on the monument. Most of the soot staining remaining on the sandstone is firmly adhered in the top millimeter of the stone, and proved to be resistant to treatments with either of the two cleaning preparations we brought. Spot tests with a small range of over-the-counter cleaning products also proved mostly ineffective. Cleaning efforts by the park and a year of weathering and natural erosion have removed most of the primarily surface soiling. We were able to remove all of the melted plastic-like deposits... Mechanical removal of the top layer of the soiled stone would eliminate the remaining soiling, but we believe that treatment is not warranted, and do not recommended it. Some soiling remains, but I believe the appearance of the damaged areas was improved, and the stains will continue to fade." [Karen McKinlay-Jones, ARCH, 10/22]

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy shit. I can't believe this.

Of course, people are innocent until proven guilty (contrary to what George Bush seems to think) but I did go to Fatali's website.

Here's what he says:

"No computer imaging, artificial lighting, or unnatural filtration were used as tools in the creation of these photographs. I use only natural light for all the images made for the gallery collection of handmade photographic prints. To me, using nature's light is the best way to express the wonders of natural phenomena. Waiting for hours, days, or sometimes even years for the right light is what it takes to communicate the wonder."

If he is guilty of starting these destructive fires to manipulate the light all for commercial profit, the man is a liar (and a criminal) and should be locked up for a long time, in my opinion.

Steve

As a fellow photographer, I am stunned that someone would attempt something like this. I've photographed Delicate Arch, it's an amazing feature, I can't imagine what it looks like now. If he is guilty, he should pay! The most amazing part is that he's done it before.

Dan E.