Mountaineering boot?

saxybrian

Thanks duder! Heading up on the 20th so getting excited. It'll be nice to get away from this 100+ weather into some snow and ice!

Shooting on a 3 days push from car to car but will add in a 4th if weather craps on us, we Texan's just want to make sure if we fly out we have as many chances for the summit as possible since it's a pretty penny for the flight.

On the top side we may end up doing in in 2 if we're all in tip-top shape at Muir and feeling fantastic that night. I just hope it's better than my April trip with 80+ mph winds on the snow field.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be sure to snug your inner laces for the descent. And if you feel a hotspot, STOP and apply tape, moleskin, whatever.

Wear liner socks! Use Tincture of Benzoine! Consider insoles!

If I ever got a blister like that, I'd be full-on assaulting the problem, not just waiting and seeing how it goes next time.

When you do go buy new boots eventually, be sure to try different models from several manufacturers. Jump up and down on them on the little sloped thingies they have (like at REI or Feathered Friends) to see how you're gonna move inside them.

Sorry if someone has already mentioned this but I'd also take a look at the socks you're wearing. They've come a long way since thick rag wool was the standard. I wouldn't say liners are required; I actually stopped getting blisters when I paid more attention to the quality of my socks, fit of my boots and stopped wearing liners altogether.

Consider adding an insert on the top of your foot for the descent.

If you are getting a blister caused by having your foot slide forward as you walk down from Muir, a piece of 1/4" foam, cut to line what would be the tongue of many boots and tapered on the edges, will reduce that movement.

I've used this kind of insert to make foot-eating-boots into foot-protectors. I've used it for increased control in ski boots, too.