[TR] Road Trippn' USA! - 5/16/2010

wayne

Trip: Road Trippn' USA! -

Date: 5/16/2010

Trip Report:

Beau and I are on the road, hitting the great climbing areas through Idaho, and now in Utah. We spent 5 great days at City of Rocks and Castle Rock, soaking up 20+ amazing pitches in the 5.10 and .11 range. We stuck to the "Three Star" rating as well, bagging such amazing classics as High Road. Incisor, and Comp Splitter, Twinkie and Honeymoon in Almo were staggering too.

We are now headed to Ibex and through the south deserts of Utah after that so stay tuned to the blog below,

Tried to upload pics- fail, will try later

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayne,

Since you are heading to Utah and I don't know if you are lookin for suggestions I'll give a few anyway. Since it sounds like you are climbing 11's I don't think you will want to miss N. face of Castleton tower (first pitch is certainly one of the best sandstone pitches anywhere). If you have never done it do Ancient Art over in the Fishers and over in Arches Right Chimney on the Three Penguins is very nice, mostly a nice handcrack with a little offwidth finish despite the name. Have not done it myself but the West face of the Three Gossips looks awesome as does The Dunn Route on Moses in Canyonlands. Then of course there is Indian Creek.

Happy trails

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, the trip is now done. 3 weeks of sampling the best of 7 incredible rock-climbing meccas in the central west states Areas we hit:

City Of Rocks

Castle Rocks

P1000484.JPG

Ibex

Castleton Tower

P1000695.JPG

Above: a rare siting of a Civet Cat at the base bivy.

Indian creek- 3 days of amazing crack climbing!

The Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Scenic Cruise and Casual Off-Route Direct

Maple Canyon with Mile Layton

P1020796.jpg.

P1020588.JPG

I have a blow-by-blow on the blog below