Slides on Granite Pk

needtoclimb

Went up to do a hike up Granite (the one off of I-90) and reached the first avy chute no problem. It was an old slide so crossed it. I took a break and heard some rumbling. Nothing came down the chute, and it sounded like either thunder, or a low-flying plane. I thought nothing of it moved on, reaching the second avy chute full of fresh debris. I had been following tracks in the snow, and they stopped at this new slide. On the other side was two ladies coming down. They stated this slide wasn't here when they went up. I quickly crossed it and looked up, seeing where the slide broke off, and seeing a section of the slope still loaded. I hiked to the third, much smaller, chute and saw the very recent remnants of a slide. The small wiffs of snow still stuck to the rock as this slide moved right through this section and the debris field was farther on down. Again, no steps at all across it, so this slide happened just after the ladies cross it. I think both chutes slid while the ladies were hiking between the two, and I was taking a break at the first one.

The slopes above were still loaded, so I called it a day and headed down. Just for info, those slopes are still going to drop down so caution there and other peaks, as obviously the snow hasn't all slid or stabilized yet.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic