Two Climbing Ropes Looking for Owner(s)

issaquah

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I most certainly appreciate your desire to give back to the crags by removing abandoned gear but, be aware that their are anchor replacement and moss removal efforts going on at Index and other local crags due, in particular, to the bolt failures that occurred last year.

Someone may have left the ropes there after a saturday ascent so that they could return on a rainy day to replace bolts or clean moss etc. It is considered bad form to remove such ropes because we all benefit from these efforts. If the route was Davis Holland or another route in that area then there is a particularly good chance this is why the ropes where there since the bolts that failed are below that route.

If you must remove such ropes it is considered polite to either wait a while to make sure they are abandoned or leave them neatly coiled near the route or many climbers would feel you had stolen their gear.

I don't mean to offend and I want to stress that your desire to do some crag clean up is appreciated but I do want to let people know that their are (in my mind) legitimate reasons that ropes or other gear may be left fixed, particularly at this time of year.

Someone may have left the ropes there after a saturday ascent so that they could return on a rainy day to replace bolts or clean moss etc. It is considered bad form to remove such ropes because we all benefit from these efforts. If the route was Davis Holland or another route in that area then there is a particularly good chance this is why the ropes where there since the bolts that failed are below that route.

I consider it generally bad form in most cases to leave ropes, 'biners and other crap affixed to the rock for one's long-term convenience. As it can be difficult to determine someone else's intentions, I suggest that if someone's involved in some sort of "noble purpose", that they should be prepared to leave a weatherproof note of explanation (e.g., flagging tape marked by a Sharpie and tied around a rope's end). Otherise, I see litter selfishly left or abandoned.

...or leave them neatly coiled near the route or many climbers would feel you had stolen their gear.

Not a bad idea. Pull them down and if they're still there in a week, cart them to the dumpster.

These ropes were wedged in a cornice, frozen in place, abandoned far away from Index, Vantage, etc. Envision snow, not rock, and think delectably new.

Thx for posting this vs not...

I should have stressed that I had no knowledge of where the ropes came from more.

If they were as you described, I apologize for 'causing a stir and thank the op for hauling extra weight out of the mountains.