[TR] Chair Peak - North Face. 2/18/2010

summitchaserCJB

Trip: Chair Peak - North Face.

Date: 2/18/2010

Trip Report:

Tood, Peter and I headed up to Chair today to hit up the North Face because we heard it was fat and wanted some nice alpine ice. The going was tough up there and we regretted leaving our snowshoes in the car. :poke: After post holing a million times we made it up to the notch where we geared up. IMG_1901_edited-11.jpgIMG_1905_edited-1.jpgIMG_1875_edited-1.jpg

I took the first pitch. Nice stuff. I set up the belay and got the guys up. We saw some other guys to our left at this point. Todd decided to take the next pitch of alpine ice and snow up to some trees. He pounded up there and belayed us up pretty quickly as a soloist came up behind us. We sorted out our ropes and I swung onto the third pitch. I consider this one the crux. Nice sustained water ice, good pro, pretty exposed for me but it was solid. IMG_1999_edited-1.jpgIMG_1995_edited-1.jpgIMG_1935_edited-11.jpg

I ran that pitch a full 200 feet so the guys had to simulclimb while I set the belay (I found this out later). I pounded a pin because I wasn't gonna trust the no-body-weight pickets, and belayed the guys up. Todd led out and hand belayed us up to the summit after sorting out the rope.

IMG_1863_edited-1.jpgIMG_2003_edited-1.jpgIMG_2045_edited-1.jpg

After hanging out on the summit we headed down to the left of the false summit to the rappel. From here it was a slog down to the lake and out. IMG_2022_edited-11.jpgIMG_2024_edited-1.jpgIMG_2034_edited-1.jpg

Gear Notes:

Screws, mostly short. 2 pickets are nice for belays. A couple flat pins are nice. Nuts? Probably no. Slings.

Approach Notes:

Bring flotation.

Edited by summitchaserCJB

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you guys head up the north face or the ne buttress? Is the decent route the same for both? Do you need twins for the rap or does one 60 work halfed over? Off a tree, deadman or thread?

AB - the descent is the same and you can do it with one 60m.

Do not use the gully that descends from the notch right below the summit cone - the notch where you come out onto from the NF route. If you do the NF, head SE from the notch, up and down the smaller "false summit". You will see another gully on your right, South, with some trees about 20' down it (you might see some slings around the trees). Downclimb or rap this gully for about 170' and this will take you to the flat area where the narrow E rappel gully starts skier's left. Look around for anchors on the N facing rock and start rappelling. I think I have seen as many as 6 anchors along the length of the E gully and one 60m is plenty.

If you do the NE Butt you will pass the descent gully on your left before ascending the small false summit.

Will, Andrew, Todd and I went up to Chair, again. I didn't want to add a new TR but I wanted to add some photos.

IMG_2355_edited-11.jpgIMG_2353_edited-1.jpgIMG_2356_edited-1.jpg

I also got hit by a rock on the shoulder after rapping down the gully. It was probably a fluke, but something to keep in mind. The conditions were good, but that should be changing with the snow. Snowshoes aren't currently required. IMG_2396_edited-1.jpgIMG_2367_edited-1.jpgIMG_2389_edited-1.jpg