Older Ultralight Lowe Alpine Pack

scottgg

I saw a pack at REI about five years ago that was about 25 liters and weighed under one pound. I've been regretting not buying it eversince! I know they are not making it anymore, but I'd still love to get one and was wondering if anyone knew the name of this particular pack. It was red, and had a single strap holding down the top flap. Maybe the "summit", or "alpine" or something? I've seen older pictures of Colin Haley wearing one...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Scotty!

Not sure about the Lowe, maybe it was the old Serratus Genie you saw pictures of? Check out the new MEC Genie in any case:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442629340&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699687&bmUID=1264955158513

I recently bought one and like it so far. They fixed the one downer of the old one; the top flap pocket zipper is now on the outside instead of under the flap. And it's a water repellent zipper. If you strip it down, the new model is actually lighter than the old model. (At least comparing the two packs I have.) It's a bit larger, too, though I'm not so keen on that.

The body fabric is Dyneema reinforced but feels sorta flimsy. That being said, I've always had good luck with the similar fabric used on the the Golite packs.

Hope you're keeping warm down there!

M

The old Genie was schweet...the inside top pocket zipper was an issue, but looks like that's fixed. This new Genie is a worthy pack...will put it on my list. A good value as well. Used the old model for up to 3-day trips...super light program that way. Steve House once mentioned to me he used the old Genie when he did Foraker way back when.

Hey Mark!

Yeah, staying warm and wishing we could send some of this cold up north to you guys!

Thanks for the info, I guess the pack I saw Colin wearing was actually the Serratus Genie, not the Lowe Alpine I was thinking of.

That's a great price on the MEC Genie!

The pack you saw was undoubtably the "Alpine Attack Summit" that Lowe used to build. I have one that is about ready to disintegrate. It is very similar to a Serratus Genie, and it has been an awesome pack to carry on multi-pitch rock climbs. The only place I know of where you can get one, other than to find a used one is at NOLS.

http://www.nols.edu/store/product.php?productid=16402

For that matter lots of other companies make very similar packs. After using a Genie for around the last 10 yrs. I had completely trashed it so I bought a Arcteryx Cierzo which is pretty much the same idea but carries ice tools and crampons a little bit better. Been using it for 6 months now, very satisfied.