Stacking Tools

Julian

Anyone got advice and experiences with stacking tools? I'm trying to learn about what the best/most efficient tool stacks are in various situations (axes on ice vs. rock, best place on the picks to stack them, etc.), and the benefits/disadvantages of stacking vs. matching (especially on tools that don't have a good "matching point" higher on the shaft).

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing you'll want to do is get a pair of tools designed to stack and match on :) BTW yours shipped back yesterday.

Next place to get a quick eduction is the alpine climb videos on tvmountain.com. A couple of really good one there that taught me a lot about stacking tools and using leashless tools in general.

http://www.tvmountain.com/index.php/tvm/alpinisme?start=200

Awesome, thanks guys (and especially Dane for getting my tools shipped! :) ). On a related subject (stacking/matching and tool mods), Dane did you get a chance to look at the new trigrest matching point on the new Quarks at the OR show? Is this going to be available as a standalone add-on, and if so do you think it might work on the Aztars?

No worries on the tools, the wait was getting the parts from Mtn Tools. Thanks for the business!

Yes I did get to look at the "trigrest" and yes it should be available as a add-on once available. They have a part number for it in the new catalog. It should work fine on your Aztars.

But seriously, not every tool makes a good tool to match and climb leashless on. Your Aztars while better than most are at the bottom end of that scale. I'd suggest making a point of trying some other tools, Fusion and Nomic come to mind, before trying the add ons when they become available in the fall.