Best dry tooling holds?

ptownclimber

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would make your own. Plastic and wood holds are too soft and quickly feel like "jugs" even when they provide very little surface area for hooking (wood especially). Home made holds are harder and standup to prolonged drytooling better than commercial ones. Plus, you can easily design any type of hook placement. Most commercial holds are aimed towards fingers, not picks, and thus provide too much surface area (I'm talking about training for slightly overhanging DTing, not the way horizonal stuff). The ice holdz look like a neat product, but they are aiming to replicate ice, not rock.

I haven't tried them yet, but these look pretty cool for an extra addition to normal climbing holds:

Ice Holdz

Do you think it's good for business to use the words "hardness" and "penetration" in the same sentence?

...anyway, does anybody know a place where I can practice indoor drytooling/indoor "ice" (foam) climbing besides the Mountaineers Clubhouse and Stone Gardens?

-Mark