Scarpa Freney XT vs. LaSportiva Batura

rockrock513

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been able to fit a Sportiva well. I have narrow feet, and own the Freney XT. I like them, but I would buy and all-leather boot if I could. The stiffer material (leather) is an advantage verses the more flexible synthetic upper, and is more weatherproof. I noticed this change when I went from my old leather Freneys to the all-synthetic XTs. Unfortunately, I have an allergy to one of the chemicals used in dyeing leather, so I have to use synth boots.

I do like the XTs though. I have worn them out for long days at -20 (we had a thermometer) with just a single wool sock and a chemical pack. My feet were comfy the whole time. I tend to think others that have complained about them being cold probably are practicing poor moisture controls, had them too tight, or any of the other reasons get cold feet then blame their boots when its cold.

I usually don the plastics (Omegas... two thumbs up) for ice climbing this time of year, like I just did earlier today, because I like the additional stiffness; however that is more attributable to my sloppy footwork than any fault of the XTs.

One final thought: The Freneys are at least $100 cheaper than the Baturas.

Hope that helps,

Jake

The Scarpa has a different last obviously. But it fits my feet well. The Batura has one of the widest toe boxes for it size in Sportiva.

You'll find less support in the Batura ankle as well, but a bit more warmth in the boot. Better comparison would be the Scarpa Freney and the Nepal Evo.

Has anyone had the chance to use both or either of these boots?

I'm in the market for one or the other of these boots, and would love to get some detailed feedback on the boots. Even better if you have first(foot) info on both.

Thanks,

R

I own a pair of Freneys. My feet are a bit wide and generally Scarpas fit me well. I took the boots up the Adams glacier last year and was very satisfied with them (my first trip in the boots - no break in whatsoever)