Old Crampons

dorianlee

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought my first set of these indentical crampons from REI in 1957 - They state in that catalog that it was a new item for them, but then they said that in the 1958, 59, 60 catalogs - As for value, I paid $13.95 for mine - A short story - A friend of mine had a pair, and was waiting for the Mt Rainer ranger too check him off to go climb, based on his equiptment - The ranger said his wimpy looking crampons were not strong enough for a mountain like Rainer - So my friend strapped on the Grivel crampons, climbed a high snowback in the parking lot - Then jumped down on the asphalt - They had to use an iceaxe to pry them loose, as the points had gone in so far - When examined after the removal, they were in perfect condition - The ranger passed them - Sometime I will tell about the balsa wood iceaxe shaft a ranger examined, and the condition of his knuckles after.

I have a similar pair, yellow nylon straps instead of leather. Bought them off a woman a few years ago at a gear swap who said she'd used them back in the 50's. The number refers to the boot size, so those will fit roughly a size 10 boot. Mine sit on a shelf, along with all the other antique stuff I've collected. Should bring them out sometime for a climb...