El Potrero Chico Info Please

TimL

Looks like I could have some time off in January and I'm trying to brainstorm places to climb rock and Potrero Chico came to mind. Who's been there in January? Is it worth the trip? What's the best way to get there from Seattle? Is it easy to find partners there? Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been there in late December/Early January. Sure, it is worth the trip.

The weather was cool in the morning and at night, and warm during the day. The climbing is almost 100% bolted, and there are lots of long multipitch routes. From one of the nearby campgrounds it's about a 15 minute walk to the first crags. You can also rent a room at one of these places, and there are several little restaurants nearby so if you don't want to cook for yourself you don't have to.

I'd say it's easy to find partners there if you're friendly, the campgrounds all have a good social scene going on.

I flew to Austin and took a bus to Monterrey, this is NOT the best way to get there. I don't recommend it at all, it saves on airfare but is not worth the time and headache. I would fly into Monterrey. From there you take a bus for a few hours, to Hidalgo I believe, and from the center of town you can take a taxi to one of the campgrounds, or you could make the walk in under an hour.

I've spent several seasons in Mex. in the past and always loved it. Fly to Monterrey for sure, take a cab or bus to Hidalgo, it's less then an hour away. It's a mellow walk from town to the entrance of the Potrero where the camping and rentals are, you'll probably get a ride from passing climbers anyway. Once there, no need to have a car. The weather will be fine, year to year it can be chilly or hot but always climbable. It's a great place, easy to find partners as finding partners goes. The food is great, market day in town twice a week, tons of fresh food and cheap. I always brought a water filter down with me. Most people were not filtering and thought I was crazy. I figured it was a worth while precaution. Bring a full 60m rope and a couple first fulls of draws and you're set for gear.

Make a reservation to stay at La Posada. Also book to have them pick you up at the Monterrey airport rather than messing with the bus or negotiating with a cab driver. Like its been said, you're a 15 minute walk to the crag, the grocery store is either a 30 minute walk or a quick hitch in town, there is a guest kitchen/common area at Posada, and three restaurants and one cafe just outside the gate.

One note. The market is a really popular thing to hit on Tuesday and Fridays. But if you want your money to stay in the local economy, buy your groceries from the groceria and carneceria near the plaza. The vendors at the market are all from out of town, and only a fraction of the market's fee to the city makes it back to the local community.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...