Ice tools revisited....

Ibex

I was toying with buying a pair of BD BP's (bent) to use for all-around alpine/waterfall and get a straight shaft BD Shrike as a 3rd tool.

I really love the BP's and I am not trying to debate their merits vs. other tools (as this has been covered to death in other threads). What I am curious about is other people's opinion of this combination. I see the pro/cons as the following:

Pro's

-evertyhing uses the same pick/wrenches etc

-I can use the straight shrike and one BP on more moderate terrain than is called for by 2 bent tools

Cons

-A shrike is heavier than a lot of other 3rd tool options

-it will cost a little more to go this route.

I am also trying to decide if I should get the shrike with hammer or adze. I know the BP comes with a sweet big adze, and the shrike a puny one, but I might end up using the 3rd tool as a quasi-mnt axe (with alaska pick) then I thought I would be better to go with the adze. Any thoughts....?

------------------

Put a high price on your own head, or rest assured, no one else will.

[This message has been edited by Ibex (edited 08-03-2001).]

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel your pain regarding choice of third tools.

First and foremost I think you're on the right track getting a real third. Having snapped picks about half a dozen times when soloing, I've learned that there's a very real benefit to having a third tool that you can climb at your limit with. If nothing else, knowing a real tool is holstered gives that warm and fuzzy security blanket feeling.

I faced the hammer and adze choice myself as well. Hammers are better for pins and tend not to get in the way of gear racks as much as a big adze. However hammers are more likely however to fall through a gear rack if that's how you holster them (although BD's have larger heads than Grivels, Charlets and Najas). By carrying a fully modular third tool however, you can switch to double bent hammers for drytooling as it reduces surgical bills and allows the placement of pins with both hands. For the odd totally plastered alpine route (Coast range in May) double adzes can just rock. Picks on that terrain can feel pretty useless

I'm unsure of the price difference between a shrike and prophet, but if you can afford the difference, I'd go two bent and one straight prophets. That if nothing else would be the cost no objective solution.

GB

[This message has been edited by fishstick (edited 08-03-2001).]

Personally I would not invest much $$$ in a 3rd tool. I have an old 40 CM X-15 and I have never used it in an emergency. Breaking picks should be a rare occurance, unless you are doing tons of mixed climbing and torqueing the pick in cracks or if you are generally overly-abusive. In 9 years of ice climbing I've never broken a pick (BD of course). I've seen others break picks though, I am not saying it can't or won't ever happen to me, but that's my experience so far.

As far as recommendations for a third tool, unless you really do plan to make use of it else where, try to find a small, light, compact (40 cm) tool. Check out Second Bounce, I've seen a few there before.

I also agree with making the third tool a hammer.

All this talk of ice tools make we want winter to be here now!

Hope that helps!

Dan E.