[TR] Forbidden Peak - East Ridge to West Ridge Traverse 8/2/2009

t_rutl

Trip: Forbidden Peak - East Ridge to West Ridge Traverse

Date: 8/2/2009

Trip Report:

Out to Boston Basin for a shot at Forbidden over the weekend. Wanting to improve the alpine leadership skills I hooked up again with Matt from Peak (www.peakmountainguides.com). Original plan was to head up the West Ridge. Hearing the approach couloir being shot we decided to do a traverse of the peak ascending the East Ridge and descending the West.

First off I gotta say the biting flies were out in epic Biblical plague proportions and hope to NEVER experience that thick of a cloud of those horrid bastards again anytime soon. That being said we hoofed it to camp in a shade over two hours.

DSCF4818.jpg

The smoke from Chelan's wildfires filled the air and our lungs.

DSCF4828.jpg

The next morning the alarm went off at way too early and shortly we were under way by the light of headlamp.

IMG_3069.jpg

After a couple hours on trail we were ascending the snow heading for notch at the base of the East Ridge

IMG_3072.jpg

Then time to gear up for the rock...is Nike approved mountain wear??

IMG_3078.jpg

The route was a hoot! A mix of super airy traverses and fun 5.7 stints up and over and around gendarmes all with PLENTY of air under your shoes. One section dubbed the "Wheat Thin" (I've seen crackers with more substance) had you doing some funky lieback hand traverse with wicked exposure between the heels...super fun!! The crux came a pitch short of the summit...a pillar guarding access to the home free feeling...standing maybe 30-40 feet tall it was all of 5.8 and then some with one helluva view! After that it was low 5th onto the summit for some photos and a quick convo with some Russian comrades.

DSCF4832.jpg

DSCF4867.jpg

DSCF4850.jpg

IMG_3082.jpg

IMG_30851.jpg

IMG_30961.jpg

IMG_3098.jpg

It's always enjoyable heading down a different way than you came up...the West Ridge was straight forward...the East I'd say was quite a bit spicier and an absolute blast!! After some rapping and down-climbing we were at the base of West Ridge. 5 single rope rappels got us to the snow and off to camp we went.

DSCF4887.jpg

Roasting in the sun all day had me dehydrated like a mother so it was heaven to suck down about two liters of glacial melt off...although the glaciers are looking quite dilapidated and sad in this heat :(

I did find it funny seeing a small patch of 8 or so flowers sitting in a nook at 8500' and bees traveling for their nectar...now that's dedication!!

DSCF4861.jpg

Gear Notes:

ice axe, med rack & sunscreen...rock shoes were a huge plus for the East Ridge

wish i had a portable bug zapper or some Raid...

Approach Notes:

Washout past Eldo fixed. BB trail straight forward...stay low at the last water crossing (large creek ~5000')...run the grassy moraine out from the low camp

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks like a great way to do it.

In the past, I've been tempted to ditch my boots, ax, etc. at the start of the E Ridge, and return that way via E Ledges, but I think I like the way you did it. Certainly descending the way you did is scenic and less stressful than the NE Face.

Question: Did you descend the couloir proper, or did you rap down the 4th class rock to climber's left of the couloir? I have never been that way (climber's left) and wonder what it's like.

Nice TR and good work!

In the past, I've been tempted to ditch my boots, ax, etc. at the start of the E Ridge, and return that way via E Ledges, but I think I like the way you did it.

One way I've done it is up the east, down the west to the notch, back up the west, and then down the east ledges.

In the past, I've been tempted to ditch my boots, ax, etc. at the start of the E Ridge, and return that way via E Ledges, but I think I like the way you did it. Certainly descending the way you did is scenic and less stressful than the NE Face.

Question: Did you descend the couloir proper, or did you rap down the 4th class rock to climber's left of the couloir? I have never been that way (climber's left) and wonder what it's like.

Nice TR and good work!

thanks man. we had heard mixed reviews of the e. ledges but mostly stating they sucked...ran into a couple CCer's who got off Sharkfin (Calder was one)...he said he did the TFT (with Alpine Monkey) previously and tried the e. ledges...said it was the biggest pain...that was the icing on the cake not to go...that and i had never been on the w. ridge before so a traverse sounded like a unique and fun climb...which it was all that and then some...the climbing on the e. ridge is much more involved that the west and truly a lot of fun! although ya gotta search for good gear placements...a lot of the cracks you'd like to protect are formed by stacked blocks...no bueno...nut placements were few and far between...i think we placed all cams but for 2 nuts

as far as the descent goes we got some good beta from a group coming off the day before which turned out to be spot on...the crest between the first two gulleys to the climbers left of the couloir has 5 perfectly placed single rope rap stations going down it...scramble from the notch down to where there is the obvious divide and coming off the nose of that is where you start...when we were up there it was army green slings...stay on that crest...dont be tempted to cross to the gulley though...the raps are money down the rib and your more clear of rock fall from above...the last rap is actually off of bolts if you can believe that...Forbidden has been bolted...

rap11.jpg

rap21.jpg

took a pair of aluminiums but never pulled them off the pack...when we were out the freezing level hung around 14k...i'd pack'em and when you stop by NPS in Marblemount check the weather and make the final decision there!! but for us it was soft enough at 4am to use just boots.

good luck!!

the gulley to the side of the rap line was the ascent of choice by the parties on the West Ridge...although there weren't many nice things to say about it...that's why we opted for the E-W travesrse

look forward to a TR if ya make it out!