contador's a poor sport

Gary_Yngve

From my armchair, it looks to me that 1) Astana didn't try to bring Contador back (or limit the damage to their official leader) in the lead group on stage 2 but rode with the breakaway, 2) Armstrong said several times he was racing to win even though he didn't have the gas to do it by attacking and was probably going for a tactical win (keeping it close enough with Astana controlling the race, then hope for something like the bordure of stage 2 or Contador making a mistake, etc ..), 3) how many times did we see no Astana rider in support of COntador unless Lance was in that group versus how many time did we see Kloden pacing Lance when he was in trouble, 4) contador was isolated within Astana with most team members rallied around Armstrong and Lance poking jabs at contador from the get go (plus all the details that are surfacing now about what happened before the ITT), ... show that a power strugle was taking place between Contador and Lance even though Contador was the official team leader.

1) Why would Astana organize a chase when ALL of the other GC riders missed the break? Basic team strategy - don't reel in one of your riders when he's up the road.

2) Lance backed up off as soon as it was apparent that Contador was the stronger rider and declared his support for Contador, which he demonstrated the way he rode through the Alps.

3) Contador had Astana support the entire time except when he attacked his own team. Kloeden was fully committed to Contador and the team, but Contador attacked and dropped him for no reason when they were out with the Schleck's.

4) What happened before the ITT? Haven't seen that.

1) You don't reel in a breakaway when one of your riders has a chance of winning the stage, which wasn't going to happen with Cavendish in the lead group, and when it doesn't put your leader in deficit. Unless of course you want one of your riders to gain time over other GC contenders. Note that the 3 Astana riders in the breakaway rode to extend the lead.

2) It was evident way before the race that Contador was the better rider. Even JB said so.

3) Contador didn't attack Kloden despite what Lance said after the stage (note that Lance could have said Contador made a mistake instead of "attack his own team"[paraphrase]). Contador tried to break away and failed, dropping Kloden in the process, and he extended his lead over most other GC contenders. Note that it happened on stage 17, i.e. after 19 days of tension within AStana. So, when Kloden dropped back to pace Lance instead of staying with Contador, it was for the good of the team?

4) Apparently, Contador left the hotel last because he was riding last and there was no team transport left to drive him to the race start (several kms away). Contador claims that Lance sent all remaining transportation to pick up his family at the airport. Contador called his brother to pick him up. Pretty funky business to forget to provide transportation to the yellow jersey on the day of the ITT.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

contador was isolated within Astana with most team members rallied around Armstrong

maybe the team members didn't like contador, because he wasn't a good leader and didn't treat them well. that's certainly what it's seemed like based on his comments.

I don't believe that Contador is any more a "good guy" than Armstrong is, but unlike Armstrong, Contador didn't talk his mouth off during the race. Once the race was over he did say what happened within the team when Armstrong tried to undermine his status as the leader. I don't believe he can be blamed for it. I am not blaming Arsmtrong for doing what he felt was in his best interest either but if anyone undermined team cohesion, it is him and not COntador.