[TR] Shuksan - Sulphide Glacier 7/26/2009

KaskadskyjKozak

Trip: Shuksan - Sulphide Glacier

Date: 7/26/2009

Trip Report:

There's been plenty of TRs for this route, so I'll give a conditions report, some mountain pron, and comment on our experience with the thunderstorm "showers".

The route is in great shape right now. Only a few crevasses are opening up and they are easily avoided. This is one of the most mellow and benign glaciers I've been on.

We had t-storms in our forecast - 30% chance of "showers" after 11 am on Sat and before 11 pm Sun. We got a fairly early start on Sat and got to camp at around 12:30. We pitched our tent and bivies and enjoyed the sun while it lasted. At around 5 or so clouds were rolling in so I decided to make dinner while I could. The drizzle turned to full-on rain, followed by 35 mph gusts of wind, horizontal, pea-sized hail, and a complete whiteout. My water was only luke-warm, my stove blew out and I was soaked.

Fortunately the rain stopped long enough for me to scarf up my luke-warm Mountain House, and the wind acted like a giant cold-air restroom hand-dryer, blowing my shell jacket and pants completely dry. Seeing the next "round" on its way in the sky, I snapped a few photos and went to bed at 6:30. My partners had already long-since sequestered themselves in their shelters, sacrificing a hot-dinner, but peeking out to snap photos here and there.

The rain came and went a couple of times that night. And we were socked in at 2 am. Fortunately by 3:30 am it was clear out and we slowly got up and were roped up and ready to go at 5:30. The weather from then on out was PERFECT.

One other item of note - there was almost NO summit gully clusterf****! We arrived at 7:30 and the first wave of summitters were leaving. We went up, had the summit almost to ourselves, then left just in time for the next group. We had heard that the previous day (Sat morning) there had been a 24-person back-up at the pyramid, including a 12 person (WTF???) party.

Angry skies after the first squall:

Shuksan_-_Jul_2009106.JPG

A different story at dawn:

Shuksan_-_Jul_2009003.JPG

The last snow patches at the pyramid:

Shuksan_-_Jul_2009021.JPG

The Sulphide:

Shuksan_-_Jul_2009031.JPG

Summit Pron:

Shuksan_-_Jul_2009024.JPG

Gear Notes:

Ice axe, crampons, helmet for gully.

Approach Notes:

Snow free until 5400'. Spotty until 6100'. Bugs horrendous below snow-line.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trip: Shuksan - Sulphide Glacier

Date: 7/26/2009

Trip Report:

We had heard that the previous day (Sat morning) there had been a 24-person back-up at the pyramid, including a 12 person (WTF???) party.

And I assume they were all roped up while crossing the Sulphide too?

We saw them descending. Yes, 2 teams of 6 per rope. That's not a big deal since you can walk around rope teams. They are only slowing themselves down.

A group of 12 in a bottleneck like the S face gully sucks for other parties.

We saw them descending. Yes, 2 teams of 6 per rope. That's not a big deal since you can walk around rope teams. They are only slowing themselves down.

A group of 12 in a bottleneck like the S face gully sucks for other parties.

Priceless as ever!

I bet they were rigged for the crevasse rescue just as well?:)

I did notice one 3 feet wide crevasse on the Sulphide!