Itinerary input for 8/22-30

nanoking

My wife and I are planning a climbing road trip 8/22-8/30 (+/-). We're heading up from Socal. Possible destinations include: Lover's Leap, Shasta, Jefferson, Sisters, Smith Rock, Adams...not sure we can make it any further north than that.

Trying to put together an itinerary and am looking for input - any must climb peaks or crags along the route between L.A. and Portland? Original plan was to just to fly up and climb Rainier, but road trip seems like we'd get more climbing in. Looking for a mix of moderate trad, some sport, with a couple peaks along the way. I'm not familiar enough with the area, so I thought I'd defer to the locals.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Cheers,

Sam

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stay off the circus route on hood. (the hogsback whatever)

I don't have any experience with oregon peaks but I think that the cascade peaks are better enough to warrant the one day drive from Lovers leap to the north cascades. I would bet that the snow would be mostly gone on the oregon peaks and shasta but you could get a good climb out of baker. You could bounce around from peak to peak and have mediocre conditions or just drive to the good stuff and not waste time.

Up north you would also have access to the washgington pass area for the alpine rock. Some sport climbing at the exit 38 area. Darrington is good. The alpine in the enchantments. So much more.

I am sorry if I have offended any oregonians by dismissing your climbing potential. Maybe there is more to offer than I realize. Maybe smith rocks won't be scorching hot in august. Maybe the volcanoes are rad.

If you are stopping to climb Mt Shasta, you might consider packing in to climb Mt Thompson in the Trinity Alps which is very close to Mt Shasta. I can say that the Three Sisters and Mt Adams (and Hood) are not really in good condition this late in the season. By this I mean too much exposed volcanic scree. Mt Thompson is granite, and even with little snow it is beautiful and pleasant to climb.

Thanks for the great input everybody. Definitely will influence my plans and probably push us further north for peaks or keeps us strictly cragging. Sorry for the late response - was expecting an email notice on replies.

I climbed Hotlum on Shasta over the weekend - my first time up there. Crevasses not very open. Had a great climb. Hotlum-Bolum might still be on the table for August.

We're not interested in slogs, but we're also limited in terms of glacier travel due to party of two (and partner experience).

Most of my Washington guidebooks just arrived. I'll research all of your suggestions. Driving up the I-5 is a piece of cake - I'm less daunted by the mileage aspect now.

Cheers,

Sam

I would get on a plane and fly to seattle or bellingham, rent a car and spend a week in the north & central cascades. Hit Lovers Leap & on another road trip earlier in the season, combined with a few stops in the eastern sierra.

I5 is not a fun way to spend 2+ days of a 1 week vacation IMO.

That was my take on the trip math on first glance, too. The hidden time sucks of flying started to add up though: can't leave directly from work the night before, have to drive to/from airport, can't bring as much gear, can't head home early/stay out longer, harder to accommodate spouse, etc.

All that being said, I hear Seattle calling my name :). Might be time to consider relocating...Thanks for the input.